Which Weights?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Ben M

Formerly pest control
Reaction score
hi, i'm looking to get some weights to build up my strength for running, but i don't really know where to start. i don't know if the type of weights used depend on what distance you run, but i do short (100m + 400m) and long distance (5m). what would you suggest i start off with? should i just buy some dumbbells, or should i get some barbell weights as well? and how many reps should i start off with and with what weights, and how do i build up?

also, where can i get some decent weights quite cheap?

cheers :good:

i used to use weights till i injured my back.. all mine came from JJB sports.. i have noticed that tesco do some quite cheap too.. but then theres ebay.. people go thru phases and get bored with it
rolleyes.gif

Ill trade you mine for your tank :p

they're always good @ a good price in Argos.

hi, thanks for the replies. :good: i don't think i'll take you up on your offer wills :lol:

i've been looking in the argos catalogue, but i'm not sure whether to just get the dumbbells or the bigger ones as well (i think they're called barbell?)

It very much depends on what type of running you are doing. I used to run long distance. For long distance you need light weights with long reps, for short sprinting you need heavier weights with fewer reps. The vast majority of the weight training is centred on the leg muscles though, specifically the quads. For this you would benefit massively by using the weights machines at your local gym. Core stability is vital too. Lots of ab crunches and sit ups will help to give a more stable core. The key if you go into long distance running (over 5miles) is not to bulk up as this bulk slows you down and has an adverse effect on your running. Look at Sprinters, heavy with muscle which they need for the speed, then look at the long distance runner, extremely lean. It all depends on what your ultimate goal is as to what training you want to do.

Dumbell's are a good start off, thats how I started doing weights. They really tone your fore-arms and biceps, I have trouble with them now though as I broke my left wrist a few years back.
The amount of weight is entirely up to you. I use 16kg Dumbells, anymore my wrist will literally snap. But you may be able to up, or need it lighter if you are starting out.
As for the barbells. Start at like 10kg on a standard press and raise it by 5 if needed, you'll generally get stronger with time. But technique is the key, always. Reps of 10 will tone you 12 will work your fitness and 15 will make you stronger. You can also use the barbells for Biceps, I find that I can do half of what I can do on my chest on my Biceps.
I'd recommend machine weights as you can work on all your body, legs, abs, arms, shoulders, chest and on...
You could also look into drinking protien? Not everyone's cup of tea but something you should consider. I'll not go into creatine as I disagree with it.

Just be sure to work on your knees as more weight top half will need plenty of support underneath and thats were knees come into play :good:

As for brands, I recommend York Fitness and Marcy Fitness. JJB or Argos, or anywhere really!

Edit: Also, punchbags are an unbelievably beneficial workout for balance and strength and calorie burning. Everlast is the best make for that stuff.

Coming from a Rugby lad, James. :)

cheers for the replies, forgot to look at this topic lol. i think i'm going to fail with which weights to use, as i do sprinting and long distance. :lol: i mainly do long distance, i'm trying to build up to a good speed for about 5miles for the championships, but i was slightly worried when in P.E i only came 5th in the 100m. :crazy: really, i'm trying to build up my fitness for longer distance, but i'm guessing that will help a bit with the sprinting too?

i can't go to a gym, as my parents won't take me. :( i do a lot of ab crunches and stuff like that, but nothing up to now that you need equipment with.

hi James, i've seen some dumbbells, they're are 10kg each, york fitness and cost about £30. they are ones that you build up the weight, so i don't have to start with the full 10kg. do you think they'd be any good? or should i spend a bit more money to get some heavier ones and barbells? i'll have a look into drinking protein. :good:

i don't think i'd better ask about getting a punch bag, as in the last year both me and my brother have broken a hand lol. i punched a wall, and then a few months later, my brother punched a punch bag without a glove on. he did it worse though, he had to have an operation. i could try with hay and straw bales though. :p

Argos are great for weights as ianho said.

I started of with the vinyl weights but then moved onto the metal weights. Get one of those EZ curl bars and a Tricep bar. Then get one of the weights packages like 55kg total. The two main problems with the vinyl weights are they take up much more room than metal weights and they are harder to secure on the bars they tend to spin.

The Metal are more expensive but if you intend to keep at it you may as well purchase them first.

Just start it off easy and make sure you formulate a plan its better to know what you're doing than just going until you're tired. I.E do you want fast twitch or slow twitch muscle fibres to build up, in your case fast. In my mind and experience doing weights you'd be best off taking smaller weights and doing them faster than doing one large weight once or twice.

There was a technique I use to do however which was basically you picked as heavy as you could possibly do about 2/3 reps, then dropped to the next lower weight and kept doing it. You're muscles would be completely ruined for 2 or 3 days however it's intensive and builds bulk strength fast, however you have next to no endurance. So it wouldn't be a recommended path.

hi James, i've seen some dumbbells, they're are 10kg each, york fitness and cost about £30. they are ones that you build up the weight, so i don't have to start with the full 10kg. do you think they'd be any good? or should i spend a bit more money to get some heavier ones and barbells?

Its where I started, it's where most people start! Deffo think its worth it, York Fitness is a good make. I think you should probably start with the dumbells then move up when you feel ready, alternatively go straight for the Barbells aswell, depending on your budget

i don't think i'd better ask about getting a punch bag, as in the last year both me and my brother have broken a hand lol. i punched a wall, and then a few months later, my brother punched a punch bag without a glove on. he did it worse though, he had to have an operation. i could try with hay and straw bales though. :p

An excellent workout. But its not about hitting it and feeling hard (even though we all do it) :p
If you do it without gloves your asking for trouble! :lol:
But anyway, a few minutes of fast punching at a high intensity is one of the most efficient workouts you could possibly do.

James.

Best advice anybody can give you is to join a gym and get shown how to train with correct form to avoid any injuries, and you will out grow 10kg dumbbells in a mater of weeks

good luck

Hi, I would join a gym, but I don't have the time. I spend all my time running, cycling, doing school work, at music rehearsals or concerts, shooting or looking after the animals. And I don't have the money either, I'm struggling to save enough money for my mbuna.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back