Which type of stand?

• Thread starter Deleted member 149562
  • Start date
FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
D

Deleted member 149562

Much debate can arise when buying an aquarium regarding the stand....build your own, use that chest of drawers or buy the aquarium manufacturer's recommended stand?

I always go with the recommended stand. Yes it might be more expensive, that could be seen as a drawback.

I have done the DIY and the "chest of drawers" options in the past....but one too many lounge tsunami's and an almighty fight with the home contents insurance person has changed my own personal choice to use the recommended stand.

Reasons being that not all house contents insurance will cover the accidental loss and ancilliary damage when an aquarium floods your room if the aquarium was not on the manufacturer's recommended stand (it was in the small print that I didn't bother reading), and if your aquarium fails for any reason within its first two years and its not on the manufacturers recommended stand, they will not honour the warranty (again it was in the small print that I didn't bother reading).

So I now go with the purchase the proper stand option.....and I read all the small print too ;)

So how about the rest of you.....are you a DIYer, a "chest of drawers" or a manufacturer stand person?

I've always been a manufacturer's stand person, with the exception of the various 25-ish litre tanks, one at a time over the years, which sit on a worktop in the kitchen. Not part of the kitchen used for food prep, I hasten to add.

I only bought proper aquarium's cabinet and stand for bigger tank.
Big aquariums are heavy and I won't compromise on the safety.
The tanks also look better with proper cabinet and stand.

For small tank(less than 2ft/60cm length), I used some Ikea side tables which have thick woods support.

Whilst I can fully appreciate the benefits of a tailor-made stand, specifically designed for the tank, I needed to make my own.
Reasons were cost, (breeze blocks are very, very cheap) and the small detail that I needed to be able to fit both stand and tank in a fireplace, at a height that suited.
The most expensive bit was the masonry paint, but as I already had some to hand...

Blank slate.jpg

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back