Which Type Of Killifish Could I Get?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

annka5

Fish Addict
Reaction score
I'm really interested in keeping killifish, and am going to be setting up a 5 gallon tank in the near future. Would this be big enough to keep any killifish species in?

If so:
My water comes in at pH 6.4 and is very soft.
This would be kept as a species tank.
I can feed live foods if required, but obviously would be easier to feed frozen more often.

Is there any types you'd particularly recommend, preferably with scientific names so I can look them up on internet for pictures /more reasearch?

Thanks a lot for any help! :good:

Hi annka5,
Fundulopanchax gardneri nigerianum species (various locations)
Aphyosemion striatum
Aphyosemion australe
Epiplatys dageti Monroviae
These are all considered good beginners species and are fairly easily obtainable,
They will live and breed easily in a 5 gallon tank with your stats (australe's pH would need to be a little lower for success when breeding) providing regular maintenance is performed and cleanliness observed. They will all take flake, frozen and live foods.
I would obtain one of the above species as an introduction into the world of Killies as they present little or no problems to the owner in feeding, breeding and subsequent fry rearing. All to often I hear of a novice obtaining one of the more difficult or intermediate species only to be confronted with failure and give up on what is a facinating and educational side of the hobby.
Regards
BigC

Perfect, thanks very much. Just what I wanted to know. I'm not new to fishkeeping but new to killies.

Hi Annka, Just thought I'd add my 2 cents. Recently I've gotten into killi breeding also and I agree with BigC's recommendations. Also I'd like to add that you may have better results breeding the killies in a trio of 1 male to 2 females. The species I have and are currently breeding is Fundulopanchax Gardneri Lafia which is probably the 1 species that is most likely found in petstores. Also If you live in the U.S. I know a great breeder of many different types of killifish and If you would like I could give you her name and website. Just PM me if you would like this information. I got a pair and a female from her and they are healthy, great breeding fish. Hope to hear from you

Hi Loko - thanks for your input. Unfortunately, I'm not in the US, otherwise I'd definitely have been taking up your suggestion re: breeder.

Hi Annka,
If your prepared to wait a few months, I have some Fp. gardneri Nig. "Jos Plateau" fry just out. I could send you a pair/trio. but as I say you'd have to wait.
Regards
BigC

A good starting Killie to start with is an Epiplaty Dageti Monrovia (fire mouth Killie) They aren't the most pretty Killie but they are fun, and spawn readily. I have mine in a 2.5 gallon and I'm constantly pulling eggs from the Java Moss in their tank :)

Good luck, I hope you find something you like.

I'm really interested in keeping killifish, and am going to be setting up a 5 gallon tank in the near future. Would this be big enough to keep any killifish species in?

If so:
My water comes in at pH 6.4 and is very soft.
This would be kept as a species tank.
I can feed live foods if required, but obviously would be easier to feed frozen more often.

Is there any types you'd particularly recommend, preferably with scientific names so I can look them up on internet for pictures /more reasearch?

Thanks a lot for any help! :good:

try wondergold killifish, there one of my favorit fish, i have 2 in my tank they dont need much space there super hardy, and cheap.

but they are aggresive, and they have a strikeing almost fluresent yellow glow with red trim, in my 60 gallon tank or rather even in my 20 gallon tank i never had any problems with them being agresive, as lont as you keep them well fed, i would imagin that in a tiny 5 gallon tank they might be more prone to agresion, but if you plant your tank and provid lots of territorys you should be fine with a school of 5 = )
not that they school lol in fact they act like cichlids to each other, but that just adds to the look of the tank, very active and beutifull fish

wondergold killifish
Your seriously not suggesting keeping Aplochelius lineatus Gold in a small aquaria they max out at between 90-100mm.

wondergold killifish
Your seriously not suggesting keeping Aplochelius lineatus Gold in a small aquaria they max out at between 90-100mm.

never mind then, but he could have 1 or 2 right? i mean killifish are usaly kepted and breeded in little 2 gallon betta homes right?

yeah didnt know they got that big, since ive never had a tank smaller than 20 gallons i dont know anything about micro tanks but i dont see why you couldnt keep 1 or 2 in.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back