Which Tetra?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Darter217

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Currently debating between green neon tetras, Cardinal Tetras and diamond head tetras. Which would you recommend and why? Currently leaning towards the green neons.

I prefer Paracheirodon simulans (green neon) because the neon line extends from the eye to the caudal peduncle and is thus the longest and straightest of the four "neon" species. This gives this fish a more slender, straight appearance. The lower red area is less brilliant, sometimes very much so. P. axelrodi (cardinal) is the brightest in red of the four known species (yes, there is a fourth discovered but not yet described/collected) and makes the most striking appearance in for example a blackwater tank. These two species share identical habitat and water parameter requirements; there are reports that they are sympatric in some areas of their range. P. simulans requires soft to very soft acidic water to be at its healthiest. P. simulans prefers the middle level in the aquarium, whereas P. axelrodi tends to remain in the lower half. These two species are genetically closer to each other than either is to P. innesi (neon tetra). The latter occurs in cooler water than the former species, which might be of importance in a community tank depending upon the other species. The "diamond head" is a selectively-bred variety of P. innesi, I always avoid such fish.

Depends on the Temperature and Parameters of your tank.
I prefer Paracheirodon simulans (green neon) because the neon line extends from the eye to the caudal peduncle and is thus the longest and straightest of the four "neon" species. This gives this fish a more slender, straight appearance. The lower red area is less brilliant, sometimes very much so. P. axelrodi (cardinal) is the brightest in red of the four known species (yes, there is a fourth discovered but not yet described/collected) and makes the most striking appearance in for example a blackwater tank. These two species share identical habitat and water parameter requirements; there are reports that they are sympatric in some areas of their range. P. simulans requires soft to very soft acidic water to be at its healthiest. P. simulans prefers the middle level in the aquarium, whereas P. axelrodi tends to remain in the lower half. These two species are genetically closer to each other than either is to P. innesi (neon tetra). The latter occurs in cooler water than the former species, which might be of importance in a community tank depending upon the other species. The "diamond head" is a selectively-bred variety of P. innesi, I always avoid such fish
I'm still leaning towards the green neons after what you've just said. As for what parameters, my ph sits at around 6.8 and my temp is usually 24.5 degrees Celsius.

I'm still leaning towards the green neons after what you've just said. As for what parameters, my ph sits at around 6.8 and my temp is usually 24.5 degrees Celsius.
24 or 25 is too cool for Cardinals, so go with the Green Neons

Hi,
Diamond tetra = P. innesi
Green neon = P. simulans
Cardinal tetra = P. axelrodi
They're close.
They're gregarious fishes.
They're sensible to NTD.
They want acidic soft water, blackwater is a plus.
As P. simulans is the smallest of them, you could get a larger school providing a more beautiful school effect, making it my favourite :)

Hi,
Diamond tetra = P. innesi
Green neon = P. simulans
Cardinal tetra = P. axelrodi
They're close.
They're gregarious fishes.
They're sensible to NTD.
They want acidic soft water, blackwater is a plus.
As P. simulans is the smallest of them, you could get a larger school providing a more beautiful school effect, making it my favourite :)
Well my tank is 125 litres and contains 6 Juli Corys and 3 Honey Gouramis. I was thinking of a a school of 15?

Well my tank is 125 litres and contains 6 Juli Corys and 3 Honey Gouramis. I was thinking of a a school of 15?
I'd say 20 P. simulans or 15 of one of the other two.
But first of all test your tank water.

Given the subsequent data on the tank/fish species, P. innesi (the neon tetra or the diamondhead neon tetra, same species) would be the best "fit" as this species prefers (= needs) the lower temperature (around 24C). This is getting on the low side for the other two warmer water species, and having kept both of them for more than 12 years I would expect more health issues with the P. simulans if they are forced into low temperatures. This species is sensitive to most everything when not kept in an environment very close to that for which it is designed.

Temperature in P. simulans natural habitats has been recorded to range between 24.6-35.2°C (76.3-95.3°F) and it may have evolved a natural tolerance to high temperatures (Marshall et al., 2011). This species is sometimes found in the same waters as the cardinal tetra and both fish have identical water parameter requirements. In temperature however the cardinal tetra P. axelrodi inhabits waters that do not exceed 30°C, whereas P. simulans can be found in watercourses with a temperature that can surpass 35°C (Campos, et al, 2017).

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back