Which Test Kit Is Most Important?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

I routinely test every week for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and Ph and do a water change every week. Monthly is not enough imho. I also test more regularly if I've added new fish, one looks poorly or off colour or done the monthly maintenance on the filters - just to be sure. ;)

Weekly tests seems like overkill. Unless something bad happened to your filter or something died, I dont see any point in doing ammonia and nitrite. Weekly water changes are always good though :good:

I test ours when the fancy takes me or if I suspect there is a problem. We are cycling two new tanks at the minute so the test kit is always out so I'm testing the cold water tank more just because it's there. I certainly wouldn't bother testing once a week. We do weekly water changes to keep on top of nitrate (our tap water nitrate is 0) so I don't see any reason to test unless you have added new stock/ something is ill.

That said I can understand why some people would test every week. Prevention is the best cure... but test kits are also expensive.

That said I can understand why some people would test every week. Prevention is the best cure... but test kits are also expensive.

But cheaper than replacing poorly fish and it doesn't work out that expensive to test weekly after everything is settled. Only testing when something goes wrong could be very costly to your fish and then your pocket as it might be too late :(

Through other web sites I have been encouraged to observe my fish, plants and algae. These tell me all I need to know.

I haven`t tested my tanks in over two years, and never lost a fish to any disease or toxin in the water.

Test kits are only a guide line, and can make people paranoid (take a look at all the pH and kH adjusting going on at the moment).

Who cares what a test kit says when all the tank residents are happy?

Dave.

P.S. What does testing once a week tell anyone? I`m sure I don`t know.

Through other web sites I have been encouraged to observe my fish, plants and algae. These tell me all I need to know.

I haven`t tested my tanks in over two years, and never lost a fish to any disease or toxin in the water.

Test kits are only a guide line, and can make people paranoid (take a look at all the pH and kH adjusting going on at the moment).

Who cares what a test kit says when all the tank residents are happy?

Dave.

P.S. What does testing once a week tell anyone? I`m sure I don`t know.

I've always operated like that Dave and I'm sure I will in the future but I was wondering why in my big tank the growth of the fish bar the silver dollars was quite slow so I'm going to test my water to see if I do do enough water changes

test kits are basically vital when you're initially cycling a tank, once you've got more experience and the tank is matured you won't need them half as much.

i always have a test kit in the house, if i suspect something is wrong from the behaviour of the fish or anything like that then i test immediately so i have the full picture of what I am dealing with, but i don't feel the need to do weekly tests, they wouldn't tell me anything at this stage in my tanks maturity!

The only time I test the water for ammonia, nitrite or nitrate is when I suspect something is not as it should be. Large water changes keep the tanks stable, so it's not necessary on a regular basis. I test the pH on the bag water when I get a delivery of fish that come from outside my general area, and compare it to mine, so I will be aware of it if a problem develops with the new fish.

I regularly clone tanks with no thought to test the water afterward. It was never needed when I did those tests.

I've never tested for kh or gh.

But cheaper than replacing poorly fish and it doesn't work out that expensive to test weekly after everything is settled. Only testing when something goes wrong could be very costly to your fish and then your pocket as it might be too late :(

I definatly see your point. I do test water on a regular basis, just not as often as I do water changes. We do water changes at the same time each week and the same amount after a setting up period in which we did test very often to check that the changes were sufficient. Now the big cold water tank is stable we have no plans to add to the stocking. Thats said I have been testing it the last couple of days as we sadly lost Watson our hillstream loach :( The water test haven't given us any indication as to why though.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back