Which Test Kit Is Most Important?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

simonas

stuck between a rock and a fish tank
Fish of the Month 🌟
Reaction score
I've keptfish for 18 yrs and have never used test kits but I have decided to start using them, however rather than get them all at once tospread the cost I will get a couple at a a time

I'm aware there is nitrite, nitrate, ammonia ph, and I can;t even think of others now

which pollutant is the biggest hindrance to growth of fish? which kit would you place at the top of the list

I'mjust wondering as my bigger tanks have a lot of fish in them my large tank having oscars and eels in etc and I want to make sure they're not living in horrible conditions andcheck that I'M doing enough waer changes etc. The fish all seem healthy but I just want to check

thanks

i'd have to say that ammonia is the most important one which can have the most affect on the fish.

lisa

cheers you two. I'm evolving as a fish keeper you see after 18 yrs I'm making a change!! lol

you can get a master kit (API) on ebay for £15 + coupla quid p&p i would get that, prob end up costing less than individual ones anyway :)

cheers you two. I'm evolving as a fish keeper you see after 18 yrs I'm making a change!! lol

they got to you didnt they :shifty: :lol:

they did Shelagh!! lol

are the master kits as accurate?

are the master kits as accurate?

The master kits are the same as the individual kits - just sold in a special package etc. Great way to get started with the kits. You can then top up when you run out of each one spreading the cost nicely :)

Contains:

Ammonia
Nitrite
Nitrate
High Ph
Normal Ph
4 test tubes
Colour cards

master kit it is then!! lol

can anyone recommend a manafacturer to use?

well that was easy!!! one API kit on its way!!!!

cheers for the speedy help chaps!!! :good:

is this for an established tank or new one ?

most important facter are all of them tbh

ammonia
nitrite
nitrate
ph
kh
gh

each one has a value and that value dictates what fish would thrive in your water

if it is an established tank

i would say nitrates and ph are more important followed by ammonia and nitrites but new tanks it's the other way round

it is cheaper to get the masters test kits as long as it is a liquid one not a strip test

is this for an established tank or new one ?

most important facter are all of them tbh

ammonia
nitrite
nitrate
ph
kh
gh

each one has a value and that value dictates what fish would thrive in your water

if it is an established tank

i would say nitrates and ph are more important followed by ammonia and nitrites but new tanks it's the other way round

it is cheaper to get the masters test kits as long as it is a liquid one not a strip test

yes all the tanks have been running a number of years

cheers

Looks like its all decided - but I fancied hijacking this thread If you dont mind.....

....with an established tank - what parameters do you all check?

On a monthly basis when I perform filter maintainance I will run a nitrAte check so I know how much water to replace, and I'll do an ammonia and nitrite check the day after to ensure I havent killed my filter due to the maintainance.

But I very rarely do weekly checks etc.... I may run a check here and then when Im playing with stuff like CO2 (do a pH check), and I run checks if any of the fish start acting wierd just to be sure... so my test kits are lasting forever.

Do you established tank-arians (what I call old fish masters!) run checks every week, or routinely throughout the month - or just when something has changed?

OR you can get a free nutrafin test kit (regent based) with a 6 month subscription for practical fish keeping and to top it off £6 cashback from quidco if your first time subscribing....

I routinely test every week for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and Ph and do a water change every week. Monthly is not enough imho. I also test more regularly if I've added new fish, one looks poorly or off colour or done the monthly maintenance on the filters - just to be sure. ;)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back