Which Tank...

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

BadBadger

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I've been thinking about tanks, filters, stands, heaters for my Juvi GT's (Which will need a new home withing 6 months maybe more). It's going to be in the livving room so i want a tank in good condition with a matching cabinet.
So, i've worked out how much i can save a week and it looks like i will have around £500 in 4 months time (If i can be a good boy and stay out the pub!).
I like the juwel range, and the Rio 240 is in my price range. However, is this a little on the small size? And, i really don't like the internal filters you get with the Rio's. I would end up replacing it which seems like a waste of money.

Anyways, to get more to the point, is £500 a reasonable budget for a display tank to house a breeding pair of GT's?

Cheers

EDIT: £500 for the tank, filter(s), cabinet and heaters

My green terror has grown from a little 1.5 inch brown thing in the corner to a 4.5 inch brute within about 3 months, you may need upgrading quicker than you think, I know I'm surprised at how fast my little guy has been growing.

IMO a 75 gallon tank is a good minimum for a breeding pair, though I think some people get down with a 55 gallon, the extra width of the 75 is definitely helpful. I don't think you'd have any problems getting a 75 gallon going with 500, though I can't really suggest any brands or anything myself, since I'm unfamiliar with UK tanks and such.

My green terror has grown from a little 1.5 inch brown thing in the corner to a 4.5 inch brute within about 3 months, you may need upgrading quicker than you think, I know I'm surprised at how fast my little guy has been growing.

IMO a 75 gallon tank is a good minimum for a breeding pair, though I think some people get down with a 55 gallon, the extra width of the 75 is definitely helpful. I don't think you'd have any problems getting a 75 gallon going with 500, though I can't really suggest any brands or anything myself, since I'm unfamiliar with UK tanks and such.

I've definately seen an inch growth in the last month so you might be right. The larger of the two is a good 4 inch at the minute!

In the last month i've saved £100 without skinting myself, so i might have to try a bit harder to get there new home here quicker.

Thanks for the reply :)

have a look at ND aquatics. they make custom tanks that are normally much cheaper than the branded tanks like juwel, rena etc etc etc. excellent tanks but you just get the tank and cabinet if you choose their cabinet that is. no lights, filter, heater etc etc but these can be bought through them if needed.

you just may save yourself a few quid and can treat yourself to 1 night down the pub :hyper:

I was going to say ND as well my 6 footer is from them and cost £600. I used an existing FX5 on it when I upgraded but getting 2 heaters and lights was near £100.

Worth the money though.

Wills

Just having a look at ND now. Very nice looking tanks! 5ft tank with cabinet is £540 (special offer). Probably about £200 for lights, filter, heaters and 3D background. Does that sound about right?

I don't really know what i'm looking for when it comes to lighting. ND directs me to arcadia lighting. Is this what you have in yours wills?

£740. Might have too stop feedIng them pellets to give me a bit more time haha

Thanks

There offers change reasonably frequently so keep an eye on it. But thats not a bad price.

I got my lights from our MA for about £30 for the start up and then £10 for 2 bulbs but it was buy one get one free. I got Jager heaters from Ings lane which were £30 each as well but you can get cheaper.

Did you look at the budget range? It comes with less trim and no doors but does the job? And you can DIY it a little to help it out.

Wills

i have the arcadia lights and they are very good but not cheap initially. they are meant to outlast T8 tubes by 3-4 times though so once bought wont need replacing very often like the tubes do :good:

Thanks for the replies

Just checking out the budget tank now. Just over 5 foot (63") and bare cabinet for £425. £115 difference without the trimmings and an extra few gallons.

If i don't manage to save up enough for new top range filter, heaters and lights i don't mind. As long as the fish get the room they need, i can slowly add better equipment as time goes on. Saying that i do want enough saved up so i won't be skimping it on decor, background etc etc...

Has anyone got the ND 3D background's? What do you make of them?

Thanks

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back