Which Tank Would Be More Suitable?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

KrystaK

Fish Addict
Reaction score
I already have one Betta (Casper, he's white) but I would love to get a second one, that was colorful. I've picked out two tanks that I think would look nice in my room :)

I only have examples of the tanks I was looking at, as the place I'm planning to get them from doesn't actually have them on their website.

The first is a 3 gal version of this: http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3804454

The second is basically this: http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=11051817 except it's a little taller and a little more narrow, it's the same 3.5 gal.

I was wondering which would be better for a Betta? (And if anyone has had one of these, which has the quieter filter?)

contrary to what alot of people sell as betta tanks, betta's prefer longer shallower tanks

I wouldn't put a betta in anything less than 5gal myself so I wouldn't really go for anything less than that personally. Not clicked the links, but longer and shallower is probably better for a betta.

Some Bettas like being in small tanks like that..my green dragon loved his little vase Better than his brand new 5g tank but I never kept him in the vase long term only when I was cleaning his tank out, I think he was over whelmed and stressed with the big space

But I would do a 5g it just gives him more room, my orange VT is a heck of a lot happier when I upgraded him to a bigger tank

Yep, just wanted to chime in and say to try and find a 5G, also avoid open topped tanks with bettas as they sometimes jump out of tanks.

3 gal is what I would consider the absolute minimum..
Have a look on eBay, you can often pick up bargains on there, & bigger is better

I agree with the above. Despite popular belief, bettas like a bit of space to stretch their fins so the bigger the better.

I would get the Tetra 10 gallon tank with the Whisper 10i Internal Filter.
I have been using this kit for quite a while now, and never had any problems with it.
It is very quiet and for the price it's at it, just about the best 10g kit you can get.

Bear in mind that if you went for 10 US gal +, you'd be able to get some tankmates (other than shrimp/snails) if you wanted, or split the tank in two and keep two bettas ;)

Either of those nice 3 gallon tanks will serve you well. Be careful about the suggestions about filter pad changes from the manufacturer. Once it is cycled, the filter pad will contain basically all of the beneficial bacteria and it should be retained. I would choose whichever one appeals to you. I have kept bettas in spaces as small as quart jars with no problem for the fish but tons of work for me, including daily nearly 100% water changes.

I would say 3 gallons is the bare minimum for a betta before I would give a lecture about proper care... I would recommend the second one. I think it looks nicer, plus its a ½ gallon bigger.

Reading the reviews on the 2 products I personally would opt for the second option. Not only is it slightly larger but the filtration seems better. The reviews on the first one state there is no filter guard. You would have to make one or risk your bettas tail getting tattered. Also there were a few mentions of leaks in that model. I wouldnt risk that.
Either way, nice choices, Id say its up to you which one you want.
cheers

I would honestly go for the smaller one as it gives more primal space to swim, given the fact that bettas prefer to swim longways and not low to high, it should do better in the longer one. There is only a small difference it the water volume size so water changes won't change drastically, in fact. I would reccomend water changes of x1 100% and x1 50% water change weekly in both tanks to maintain ammonia levels and keep them minimal

In a tank of that size. A filt would be virtually useless as the lack of surface area, and the O2 content in the water is probably minimal which leaves the nitrifying bacteria in a difficult place to establish, grow and colonize. I would just leave the filter off. And go along with the regular water changes of one 100% and one 50% to keep ammonia minimal. You won't have to worry about nitrite and nitrate poisoning as nitrifying bacteria will most likely not grow strong in this type of habitat, nitrifying bacteria is what oxidizes harmful substances into less harmful ones.

In anything less than 5 gallons you should ideally do 1 50% and one 100% water changes weekly to minimize ammonia, and nitrites content. In a A tank of that size you shouldn't have to worry about nitrate/nitrite poisoning as nitrates/nitrites are both a result of bacteria oxidizing ammonia into those substances. Cycling doesn't occur as much in tanks less than 5 gallons. In a tnk upwards of 5 gallons. It has the ability to hold a stable cycle, and depending on the stocking. You should do 25-50% water changes. As 100% changes can slightly impact the cycle

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back