Which tank mate(s) do you find most appealing?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Which tank mate(s) do you prefer for my 55 gallon tank?

• Total voters

1L19

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I'm not Mr. Video but below is 45 seconds of my 55 gallon tank. Currently I've got four false julii corys and 16 neon tetras. I will be getting four more juliis so that's a lock. I'm considering some tank mates and I thought it would be fun to see what folks might find to be appealing. Vote for as many as you like as I may end up with more than one "mate". Thank you for taking a peek!

Dwarf Gourami
dwarf gourami.jpg

Dwarf Neon Rainbowfish
dwarf neon rainbowfish.jpg

Ember Tetra
ember tetra.jpg

Honey Gourami
honey gourami.jpg

Threadfin Rainbowfish
threadfin rainbowfish.jpg

More Neons!
neon tetra.jpg

Just throwing it out there that I have had a pair of dwarf gouramis and a trio of honeys in a 30gal with a school of black neons. and I hate to add 4 ADFs. before the hate comments, I have had no deaths in that tank (except a disease that affected the tetras). and have had this setup for over a year.
what I'm really getting at here is, honeys and dwarfs can live together with caution.:)

For any of these options to do well, I would suggest you get a lot of stemmed plants that will grow up and give the fish a sense of security.
Come on man. You had time to "give advice" but not enough time to vote? Lame! 😋

That is because as the tank is now, I would not be putting any of those fish in the tank.
That's why the poll is about what's appealing rather than tank analysis. Carry on sir.

dont touch dwarf gouramis, they are riddled with incurable diseases.

M. praecox need different water to neons and cories.

get embers or original honey gouramis or Iriatherina werneri, and a heap of floating plants.

No dwarf gourami. They get bad disease. Grim reaper of the gouramis 💀

Actually it can be hard to say which is the best because all fish are beautiful and unique in different ways.

If you like brightly colourful fish, then Neon Tetras are the best.
You can mix them with some Honey Gouramis. Honey Gouramis are more peaceful and won't carry the virus like Dwarf Gouramis.
Honey Gouramis have nice yellow colour.
So, you will have all the 3 most striking colours - Red, Blue and Yellow.

Dwarf Neon Rainbows also have striking colours but they are from hard water and not suitable for soft water.
All the fish that you listed are from soft water except Dwarf Neon Rainbows.

But if you like fish with beautiful fins and tail shapes, then the Threadfin Rainbows are the best.

For your tank size, you can choose either a single big group of schooling fish or you can choose 2 groups of schooling fish but in smaller numbers.

Last edited:
I'm not Mr. Video but below is 45 seconds of my 55 gallon tank. Currently I've got four false julii corys and 16 neon tetras. I will be getting four more juliis so that's a lock. I'm considering some tank mates and I thought it would be fun to see what folks might find to be appealing. Vote for as many as you like as I may end up with more than one "mate". Thank you for taking a peek!

Dwarf Gourami
View attachment 158517

Dwarf Neon Rainbowfish
View attachment 158518

Ember Tetra
View attachment 158519

Honey Gourami
View attachment 158520

Threadfin Rainbowfish
View attachment 158521

More Neons!
View attachment 158522
I have dwarf neon rainbowfish and they really shine. Bigger than nano fish of course but I find them very small fish and shrimp friendly. They are in a 120ltr tank heavily planted and mates of silver tip tetra, a pair of double red appistogramma, black phantom tetra and yellow shrimp. The silvertips are always on the move and are exciting to sit back and watch, the appistograamas are laid back and inquisitive, the black phantoms are shy and not exactly active, and the dwarf neons sit in the middle of the tank and dash around after the single female.
The shrimp? Well they do what shrimp do. Breed a lot and eat a lot.

I have dwarf neon rainbowfish and they really shine. Bigger than nano fish of course but I find them very small fish and shrimp friendly. They are in a 120ltr tank heavily planted and mates of silver tip tetra, a pair of double red appistogramma, black phantom tetra and yellow shrimp. The silvertips are always on the move and are exciting to sit back and watch, the appistograamas are laid back and inquisitive, the black phantoms are shy and not exactly active, and the dwarf neons sit in the middle of the tank and dash around after the single female.
The shrimp? Well they do what shrimp do. Breed a lot and eat a lot.
So, would you recommend any of these for this tank?

I ended up getting 8 more Neons bringing the count to 24. I ordered 5 more false juliis from LiveAquaria (coming tomorrow) bringing the count to 8 and I ordered 6 sunset honey gouramis from RFI coming next week. I'm hopeful that it will be the right blend for me. Thank you to everyone for their feedback and ideas. :)

I ended up getting 8 more Neons bringing the count to 24. I ordered 5 more false juliis from LiveAquaria (coming tomorrow) bringing the count to 8 and I ordered 6 sunset honey gouramis from RFI coming next week. I'm hopeful that it will be the right blend for me. Thank you to everyone for their feedback and ideas. :)
I hope it goes well for you.

It's good that you have Neon Tetras that move in the middle or lower half of the tank combined with Corydoras that move at the bottom of the tank plus Gourami that move at all levels of the tank.
Your tank will look less empty when you have fish that move at all level.
I guess if you can add fish that stay at top level will be great... but its still ok for now.

Get more plants as some had suggested for your fish to feel more secure.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back