Which Shrimp?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Fish_Girl

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
So the new tank is just about ready for my 5 ADF's to call home. im hoping to move them in over the weekend. it is a 7.6 gallon tank and i originally thought about getting a betta to go in with the frogs, but have now decided that i want to get a few different types of shrimp instead. one type il definately be getting is amano, but i wondered what other sort of shrimp i could get for a tank this size that would be suitable to live with frogs and other sorts of shrimp?

im also wondering how i should decorate the tank so that the shrimp and frogs are happy? im guessing lots of little caves and plants are probably the best idea?

really excited about setting this tank up! :shout: :blush:

I think the larger shrimp would do ok. Since the frogs can't see all that well you'll notice that they lunge/bite at anything near them, including each other sometimes! :rolleyes: Any smaller shrimp will be more likely to get injured.
I'd do plenty of caves and plants, and a sand substrate would do best.
Post some pix when you get it all set-up!!

eek-i already have some gravel in the bottom of the tank. i did want and consider sand but we were unsure of how to clean it properly etc so opted for gravel again.

do you mind me asking what sort of species would be big enough to go with the frogs? im not very clued up on all the shrimp, i only know that they are very cute :wub: been doing some googling but want to know im on the right track.

oh and i definately know what you mean about the frogs nipping each other, silly little things that they are! :rolleyes:

Don't worry about it.... the gravel will be ok, they just prefer sand. I've had mine in both and with no substrate and they do fine.
As for shrimp... let's see....
I think I'd go with some that eat algae like the bumblebee, cherry or tiger shrimp, but as long as they are a decent size you should be fine. Of course you don't want those that get really big like the marble shrimp, but I think most of those are brackish water shrimp anyways. When you buy them just try to get the largest they have, as opposed to buying babies. I think they'll do better that way.

Personally, I'd say amanos or ghosts. They're big and feisty enough to avoid harm. Smaller shrimp like cherries could possibly get injured (though from what I've heard, ADFs are rubbish at catching shrimp anyway).

BTW, a layer of sand over your gravel might be a good idea. Because of the way ADFs lunge at food, they could accidentally swallow the odd piece of gravel, which is never a good thing...

I would say amanos to be safe. They are very fast and they grow to 2 inches (most if not all of the other shrimp mentioned only grow to 1 inch). They also eat algae.

Thanks for the replies guys. i should have made my first post more clear though. i definately intend on getting some amanos, my wondering was as to whether there are any other shrimp that would happily live with both ADFs and amanos?

Still havent had chance to get my frogs into their new tank yet but will be sure to post piccies when i do :good:

Thanks for the replies guys. i should have made my first post more clear though. i definately intend on getting some amanos, my wondering was as to whether there are any other shrimp that would happily live with both ADFs and amanos?

Still havent had chance to get my frogs into their new tank yet but will be sure to post piccies when i do :good:

Cherries should be okay depending on size and temperament of the ADFs

Thankyou for all the suggestions, i shall do some reading on the ones mentioned and see what i think. the trouble then will be finding somewhere to get them from! oh well, i have waited this long for shrimp im sure i can wait a while longer :nod:

you might also consider Bamboo Shrimp, a good size filter shrimp. or even, if you have a good few plants, an African Vampire Shrimp. both are filter feeders, peaceful and too big for the frogs to effect.

i am just at this moment sorting a 20g tank for my wifes ADF's. if i can get Vampire Shrimp i will, but Bamboo will probably have to do for now. nothing will go into the tank, except the frogs, till the tank has been fully cycled for a couple of months. than we plan 2 cory 1 pleco, BN or the like. 6 Bamboo shrimp, or two Vampire Shrimp, whichever.

Ghosts should be fine. Perhaps red noses...?

I say this all too often, but it's well worth calling a few LFSs and seeing if they can order you any. Otherwise, I'm certain there are a few places in London (as well as one near Bolton) that will stock pretty much any kind of shrimp.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back