Which Raises PH ?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Davey

Reaction score
Hi , iam new to the forum and just wanna start off by saying hello !

Got a question which raises PH Baking Soda or Baking Powder ?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

and is there anything that can be used to lower pH ?

Kind of crude but if you get some bogwood the tannins given off are slightly acidic I doubt how much of a difference this will make though other than that its probably best to buy some "ph down" from the fish store for best results. But usually tank's ph's are stable and I wouldn't want to alter them too much unless you've got really specific, needy fish.

How much baking soda should i put in my 20 gallon the ph is about 6.3 i have 2 fancy guppies in there now .. ?

Since we're on the subject:

If I have pH of 7.8 and use pH Down to try to get it to say 7.2. I follow instructions cautiously and add instead of 2 drops per gallon just one drop per gallon.

First question: is there an immediate spike in pH? I tested about 5 minutes after and got a reading of over 9!!!! :-( Tested 5 min after that and in 2 tests was back at around 7.8. Is this normal?

Second question: the directions say not to lower more than .2 per day with fish in the tank. But it gives no advice about how much to add per gallon to achieve that effect. Should we presume 2 drops per gallon yields a .2 drop in pH per day?????????

Third question: why should I do this? I'm temped not to do this again after that scare. Is there THAT much difference to the fish between 7.8 and 7?

Oh, and Fourth: once you go this route, you are ALWA?YS doing it, right? Meaning, every water change will require adjustment of pH with the drops? This seems rather a difficult process and one that will lead to fluctuation, no???

I have a community tank with dwarf gouramis, platies (for now), clown loaches, an SAE, a couple Otos, and one baby dwarf bristlenose pleco :)

I'm seriously tempted not to touch this pH down stuff again, despite repeated advice from some here to get my pH down from 7.8

Cheers all!

If this is just a community tank and you're not too concerned about breeding, by all means stop stressing your fish and leave the ph as is.

Ya think the 7.8 is why the livebearers haven't done any bearing? :unsure:

Possibly. But livebearers have been known to breed in ph's above 7.8 though. Some are more tolerant than others.
I always found it easier to breed fish in high ph's that require high ph's, like most of my cichlids. Not to say that all cichlids will breed or live in high ph's.
Anyway, if the fish seem to be doing o.k. don't change anything. :shifty:

Otos are one of the finest algae eaters ever invented! Otocinclus somethingorother :p

Suddenly fish aren't so good ... see my emergencies post. I'm sure this has nothing to do with pH though.

In answer to Stickle's question about lowering pH....

Try using peat. Killie breeders swear by this stuff. I understand Canadian peat is the best to use.

Peat will however turn the water a slight tea color, but this is what the fish's natural waters look like so in essence you are creating a more natural environment for them.

Place the peat in a nylon filter bag (the type used for carbon and such) and place directly in your filter.

This is a more natural way to lower pH without using chemicals.

IMO NEVER use chemicals to lower or raise pH. To many variables for things to go wrong

Once again cm has beat me to the draw. geshhhh slow down will ya.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

But since you fogot to mention, Lime rock is also a good natural ph buffer. Here in Florida we sit on top of line rock so it is pretty avail. If you look at some of my pics those big hooly shaped rocks are are lime. Some pieces though are too soft and are not suggested to be used because they will eventually fall apart.
My theory, I am on city water and the city filters the water and removes alot of the natural stuff fish depend on and need. Adding the same rock that the water table comes from helps reintroduce all the ions, trace elements and so fourth that are removed at the water plant.

I keep a few species at a friends house as an experement. Why ?
Well he is on well water and we have seen a big diff. on fish growth and colors.
Both are fed the same and everything is on the same schedule . The only diff. is the water. one is city water and the other straight well water. There is a big diff. even in siblings from the same spawns. growth rate is faster, more robust looking young, colors seem more natural. Now don't get me wrong the others don't look bad but an experienced / avid keeper can see and understand what I mean. I hope...........

My point is that the lime rock helps maintain the PH at around 7.9 - 8.2
So thats whgat I use to maintain a hight ph. not to mention the fish enjoy hiding in the cracks and creveses when chased by the net.

Hope that helps,
Danny

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back