Which Medication To Use?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Mayu

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Ok, Wilder has been helping me diagnose my new blue ram who had two white, fluffy cyst like bumps on his anal fin and tail fin.

We've ruled out Ick because the spots haven't spread

I've ruled out Camallanus because there are no signs of Camallanaus

We've kind of ruled out fungus

We've kind of ruled out Columnaris

So he told me, to be on the safe side since the two spots haven't gone away on their own, I should just treat it with an antibiotic as if it's a bacterial infection (Which seems like the most likely case).

So I narrowed it down to two meds. (Well narrowed down as in, these were the only two offered.)

Metafix... "A natural way to treat bacterial fish infections... including Red Open Sores, Fin and Tail rot, Eye Cloud/Pop Eye/Body Slime and Mouth Fungus, and Open Body Wounds. You place 1 tsp of Metafix per 10 gallons of water every day for 7 days... then do a water change.

then there's

Lifeguard: All in one treatment: a non antibotic treatment for Ick, Fungus, Red Streaks, Milky or Shedding slime, Flukes, Bacterial gill disease, mouth and fin rot clamped or torn fins and ulcers. You place one tablet per day to every 5 gallons of water. (I'm assuming that means if you have a 29 gallon tank you should place 5-6 tabs every day?).. Treat for 5 days, then do a water change on the 6th.

which would you use?

Don't bother with melafix it's unless. Only good for cuts and wounds.

Maracyn one and two, or maracyn plus.
These meds might knock your water stats.
Issolation when using bacterial meds, if only one fish is affected.

I'm a she lol.

Lol did I say he? ha ha, sorry.

Well unfortunately the only two medicines that were readily available were these two. Melafix and Lifeguard. I'll have to travel 2 hours away to find another petstore and see if they have anything else in stock then.

I just did a 50% water change... and turned off the lights for a while so they can relax. They seem to be doing fine still. Eating, swimming, chasing each other... I also added a backdrop, and I'll be adding peat moss to the filter soon to lower the pH. So I do't think it's an emergency that I get the meds tonight. I'll see if the other pet store even still exists (they don't last long where I live. lol) and see what they carry. If not... my pet store can order the proper meds.

Also, I wish I could isolate, unfortunately, I don't have any spare tanks. All three tanks I have are in use, and the tank I had set up as a med tank turned out to be useless. (sprung a leak.)

So if I treat, it will have to be directly in the tank.

Order online. Life Guard seems to me to be one of those one med treats all BS products. i've used it before. I would listen to wilder. Order Maracyn online.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back