Which Master Kit To Buy?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

RossC

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Ok so I've recently found out how unreliable dip tests can be so I want to invest in a liquid test kit but I'm unsure which one is best value for money. Id prefer not to spend a fortune on one but neither do I want to waste my money on inaccurate readings. I know the API master is popular but I've heard it has flaws when trying to read low levels of ammonia in particular.

The API test kit is popular, and you certainly get value for money. I went through a 69 day cycle with one, and tested my water twice daily most of the way through and most of the bottles are still at least a third full. With the ammonia test it's completely yellow when it's 0, then gets deeper and deeper green the more there is. So, the test will go slightly green if there is ammonia present, even if it's not as green as the 0.25ppm on the card.

Other people use Salifert and say once you use that you never go back to API, but I've got no personal experience in that.

It would be helpful if someone who has used Salifert to give their opinions aswell then please to compare

the API is great as far as im concerned, not the best but deff worth the money, i would just got with it...its cheap and gets the jobs done and like CazzaXV said, lasts forever, 10g- to a 150g+, you could even just buy an extra ammonia testing kit of another brand or something to double check if thats what your weary of.
Good Luck Mate :)
Cody

Salifert all the way :)

Much easier to use and much more reliable!

I use salifert (a hangover from my marine days). They are very easy to use and (I am told) some of the most accurate 'hobby' test kits available.

The down side is they don't do a master kit - they come as individual tests and are relatively expensive (although last a long time)

HTH

Ok so after looking at the reassuring reviews that supported API I decided to order that one but it would still be great for more reviews on the alternatives out there for other newbies like me. Thanks to everyone who have contributed so far :)

Salifert all the way :)

Much easier to use and much more reliable!
In what ways are they easier? Just interested to know.

I use the API kit, but that said, i tested my water last weekend for the first time in close to a year.

Accuracy isnt all that important in my eyes, if you got bad water, you change it, if its good, you carry on as you are. ;p

However, if its a new cycling tank then yeah, its probably a good idea to be a little more accurate, but the API kit is still more than good enough.

I was told the API would be £30 ish but just found this for £16...

http://www.discountedpetproducts.net/FRESHWATER_MASTER_TEST_KIT-UKP70692.html

Is this the one?

I use the API master kit and it's very accurate. I have no experience with any other but why fix it if it isn't broken?

The one complaint I have with the API kit is that some testing colors are very similar, especially the nitrate colors. For instance the light orange shade for 10ppm & 20ppm is almost exactly the same color & certainly not distinguishable from each other since it always looks a bit different in the tube. Tha same for the 40ppm & 80ppm colors.

I'm a Salesman & Designer of Sign Systems too & I've been mixing colors for many years, so I'm not colorblind either.

I use API, just cause it's the only brand of master test kit that is sold in the stores here. And I'm not big on ordering things online unless they're ridiculously expensive in store.

Don't think it matters much, they're both accurate and reliable, imo, just pick the cheapest one. After your tank is established, you'll rarely need to pull the test kit out anyway. I've still got craploads of contents left in my API kit, but I don't really use it anymore cause there isn't much of a need to when your filter is cycled and you keep up with your water changes.

And if you notice something wrong with the fish in the future, you'll know by then that a water change the first thing you want to do, and all the things test kits measure are combated by water changes. No real use in testing the water to see if you should do a water change when you really should anyway if you notice things wrong that might be due to ammonia, nitrate, or nitrite.

I use API, just cause it's the only brand of master test kit that is sold in the stores here. And I'm not big on ordering things online unless they're ridiculously expensive in store.

Don't think it matters much, they're both accurate and reliable, imo, just pick the cheapest one. After your tank is established, you'll rarely need to pull the test kit out anyway. I've still got craploads of contents left in my API kit, but I don't really use it anymore cause there isn't much of a need to when your filter is cycled and you keep up with your water changes.

And if you notice something wrong with the fish in the future, you'll know by then that a water change the first thing you want to do, and all the things test kits measure are combated by water changes. No real use in testing the water to see if you should do a water change when you really should anyway if you notice things wrong that might be due to ammonia, nitrate, or nitrite.

Perfectly posted!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back