Which light(s) for new tank?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

PADogman

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
As I mentioned in the Beginners forum, I purchased my tank yesterday to get back into this hobby. It is a 27gal and measures 20" x 18" x 20" tall.

From what I am finding online I need 2-5w/gal to run a planted freshwater tank.
What I would prefer is a clip on light, but I am only finding them in a low wattage and most do not work easily for a framed tank. I really like the way they look up above the tank, as I am going to try topless.

The light that fits my tank and rests on the lip is only 27w. They seem to correspond wattage with length. So I'm guessing this means I need two 27w lights at minimum? This doesn't seem right from what I am viewing in pictures and videos of planted tanks. I've seen big tanks with only one LED light on it.

So as you can see I am confused.
Can someone steer me to the correct lighting setup?

ETA: I meant 2-5w per gallon :)

Last edited:
The shape and height of the tank would suggest getting a spotlight instead of a strip light. Strip light being fluorescent globes or LED light units that run along the full length of the tank. You could hang a 50, 75 or 100watt spotlight above the tank and it would provide pretty good light.

The shape and height of the tank would suggest getting a spotlight instead of a strip light. Strip light being fluorescent globes or LED light units that run along the full length of the tank. You could hang a 50, 75 or 100watt spotlight above the tank and it would provide pretty good light.

Thanks. I think i would like this much better than the strip light. And I saw a youtuber say he used spotlights on one of his tanks, but I didn't catch the wattage and tank size.

Do I need a special plant spotlight?
Should I visit a hardware store for a regular spotlight or one of those indoor plants stores?

I use ones from a hardware but find a plant globe to go in it. Hardwares sometimes sell a variety of globes and if you can find a globe with equal parts of blue and red light, plus a bit of green, and a 6500K rating, that is ideal.

Great. That gives me something to go by.

I found this fixture on Amazon, which is nice because I can dim it.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07G28G1FS/?tag=ff0d01-20

And I also found some dimable daylight white 65w LED bulbs, which I'm guessing the 60w fixture should be OK with, on account of them being LED.
Just gotta find the colors they produce.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back