Which is stronger

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

bigfish

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Hi

My dad is a builder and he's going to build a shelf to fit my new tank on but im worried that the shelf wont be strong enough. I would like a tank the size of 30'' x 15'' x 12'' but i'm so worried that the tank will come off the wall :no: . I discussed my worries with my dad and he said that he would put supporting brackets under the shelf that will continue down the wall and support on top of the skirting board.

Is this a good idea guys and gals?

I usually figure about 10lbs per gallon, so I would estimate in excess of 300lbs for your tank weight. As your father is a builder he should be able to brace it well enough to support the tank, but if you want to be extra safe I would follow Jamnogs suggestion and add a supporting leg or two to the shelf.

Being an ex construction type person what you dad said shoule be fine. He will be tying the main shelf into the 2x4 wall studs and then said he will run angle braces down the wall so the front of the tank will be supported. Since dad is going to the trouble of building this for you maybe he will build you a regular stand instead of wall shelving.....By the time he gets all the material for the bracing he could have built a real sturdy frame for the stand and then a inexspensive sheet of paneling could be used to cover it

Les

puffer water is 8 lbs per gallon in weight. I learned this in the boy scouts many years ago as we used to do desert hikes in the summer and had to adjust pack weight to allow for adequate water.

the idea sounds good and should work fine, but I'll agree with les, se if he will build you a stand instead. that way it could hide all of the pumps and stuff.

well that has surprised me by far. i cant wait to get my new tank :p :D i'm soooo excited i just cant hide it, i know i know i want you..............................

puffer water is 8 lbs per gallon in weight

Bigfish is in the UK, here we have bigger gallons than you guys over the pond and our gallons weigh 10lbs ;) Mac.

I believe we use Imperial gallons here in Canada as well (unless it's specified as US Gals)...so much for my safety margin :crazy:

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back