Which is better

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Barry Tetra

Fish Aficionado
Pet of the Month 🎖️
Reaction score
which one is better the build-in filter vs the canister filter suggestions and thought

Both have pros and cons and it can go on what kind of setup you have but canister filters have my vote.

Canisters can hold more media, dont take up much room in your tank and you can get an higher flow if needed.

Intenal filters are cheaper to buy and easier to clean id say but IMO the pros with canister filters out way internals.

Last edited:
Canister filters are better than built in filters at the back, side or on top of the tank.

I have hob filters. The media needs to be cleaned (or floss replaced) at least every 2 weeks. Do canister filter media need cleaning less often if properly sized for tank?

By built in filter do you mean something like a Fluval Flex? Or an in tank filter? I have always used in tank filters because it came with the kit, no other reason besides that. I do like HOB filters and I plan to get one for my new 29g when I go to pick it up.

I have hob filters. The media needs to be cleaned (or floss replaced) at least every 2 weeks. Do canister filter media need cleaning less often if properly sized for tank?
In general yes, I clean my media in my canister filter once a month but know people who leave it longer.

Last edited:
In general yes, I clean my media in my canister filter once a month but know people who leave it longer.
But be careful. The water appears clean because organic waste gets trapped in the filter. The bacteria copes well with this and you have zero ammonia or nitrite. But this can easily turn into a nitrate factory. I used to manage this by using a sponge pre-filter (just a simple sponge filter stuck onto the filter inlet without an air pump attached). This meant that I could remove the organics every week and only cleaned my canister every 3 months.

all filters should be cleaned at least once a month and every 2 weeks is better. the only exception to this is when the filter is new, then it shouldn't be cleaned for the first 6 weeks.

filter floss is a waste of money, sponges are better and last for years.

By built in filter do you mean something like a Fluval Flex? Or an in tank filter? I have always used in tank filters because it came with the kit, no other reason besides that. I do like HOB filters and I plan to get one for my new 29g when I go to pick it up.
I mean this one

Attachments

• stock-vector-a-large-aquarium-with-a-built-in-filter-compartment-245268769.jpg
    stock-vector-a-large-aquarium-with-a-built-in-filter-compartment-245268769.jpg
    206.7 KB · Views: 53
all filters should be cleaned at least once a month and every 2 weeks is better. the only exception to this is when the filter is new, then it shouldn't be cleaned for the first 6 weeks.

filter floss is a waste of money, sponges are better and last for years.

I use a combination of sponge and floss..I feel the floss traps smaller particles than the sponge and thus water is clearer than just sponge

I use a combination of sponge and floss..I feel the floss traps smaller particles than the sponge and thus water is clearer than just sponge
I concur. In my 10g betta tank I have this nice filter from Tetra. It has your regular floss and carbon, but it also have a sponge in there that trips big stuff. Id personally say go with the HOB. :)

I vote for HOB’s also. Except in betta tanks. There, I vote for a simple air driven sponge filter.

So what do you think is the best filter for discus goldfish and platy?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back