Which group of tetras to get for 30 gallon

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
I vote Black Neon. Those are great. I know they are super common, but I personally just love the Neon Tetras. I assume you considered those. You could also consider rasbora or danios, right? There are a lot of good options that could work for your set-up.

Black Skirts in a group of 5 or more would be fine. They occasionally "play" chase each other but don't nip. Nice flowing fins and look very nice overall. I have neons and black skirts in my 35 gallon tall hex tank.

Yes apologies so my GH is around 160 ppm
(Moderately soft water)
KH is 0
PH is 7
Tank demensions are 24” x 12” x 18” (L W H)
Currently have a an open scape with two large bushy fake plants (I plan on getting real ones in the future since my lights can support)
@Colin_T
If these dimensions are correct your aquarium is 22 gallons (85 litres) not 29/30 gallons.
The fish listed need a larger tank. I'm not sure on the blue flame tetra without the scientific name. The Kerri tetra suggested by ncaquatics could work though. You can check on seriouslyfish for species requirements. Seriouslyfish doesn't always show hardness in ppm, so your hardness in dH is 8.9.

Last edited:
Currently have a 29 gallon with 3 honey gouramis, 8 Cory catfish (plan to get it to 10) and then 6 moss balls (if they really count)

I was debating which group of fish I could add. I have tried tiger barbs and cardinal neons, but no luck. How many could I add of these?

Black neon
Emperor tetra
Blue flame tetra
Black phantom tetra
Get 4prs of black phantoms and nothing else, that includes Cories. The tank isn't big enough for more catfish or big tetras.

Currently have a 29 gallon with 3 honey gouramis, 8 Cory catfish (plan to get it to 10) and then 6 moss balls (if they really count)

I was debating which group of fish I could add. I have tried tiger barbs and cardinal neons, but no luck. How many could I add of these?

Black neon
Emperor tetra
Blue flame tetra
Black phantom tetra

I like ember tetras

I am going to attempt a list here of considerations one should keep in mind when selecting stock, especially in the starting stage of building an aquarium.

1. Compatibility (Fin nipping etc.) (Here tank size, number two, goes along way with some species)
2. Tank size.
3. Water Chemistry (Soft water fish should not be mixed with hard water fish)
4. Temperature compatibility
5. Adult size, (this goes hand in hand with number two.)
6. Shoaling fish / Schooling fish. (This is important because some fish have to have a sufficient number in size to feel safe and not stressed)

There could be other factors to consider that I have not thought of, but a person should do exhaustive research on stocking using the above to help create a healthy community aquarium.

The long feelers of Honey Gourami are like fin nipping magnets. Even Tetras that aren't known for being terrible fin nippers are tempted to bite those right off, and unlike other fins they will not grow back properly and Honey Gourami use their feelers so much to explore their environment that the loss of them is especially debilitating. So they shouldn't be put with most of the Tetras on your list or Bleeding Heart Tetras. Of the ones on your list, only the Black Neon Tetras would be safe with the Gourami. Black Neons need at least 6 of their own kind, but are otherwise hardy and undemanding. 6-8 of them would go nicely in your tank. I've kept Black Neon Tetras with Honeys and Corycats before and it was a nice combination.

Other Tetra species that can be trusted not to nip Gourami include Flame Tetras, Ember Tetras, Glowlight Tetras, Lemon Tetras, Gold Tetras, and Rummynose Tetras.

They were in the middle to top range. I think mine were some sort of hybrid as they had very long fins. If you are going to go with emperors though you shouldn’t keep them with slow moving fish or fin nippers. Say you had angelfish, all of their active ness will stress the angel and you’d either have to remove the angel or the emperors. With fin nippers I’m not sure if the emperors generally develop longer fins, but if they do do not keep them with tiger barbs unless you plan on a group of 12 or more where they’ll divide the aggression/fin nipping between themselves
They would be with cories and honey gouramis

If these dimensions are correct your aquarium is 22 gallons (85 litres) not 29/30 gallons.
The fish listed need a larger tank. I'm not sure on the blue flame tetra without the scientific name. The Kerri tetra suggested by ncaquatics could work though. You can check on https://www.seriouslyfish.com for species requirements. Seriouslyfish doesn't always show hardness in ppm, so your hardness in dH is 8.9.
I must’ve got the measurements as it is a 29 gallon marineland kit tank. I s
They were in the middle to top range. I think mine were some sort of hybrid as they had very long fins. If you are going to go with emperors though you shouldn’t keep them with slow moving fish or fin nippers. Say you had angelfish, all of their active ness will stress the angel and you’d either have to remove the angel or the emperors. With fin nippers I’m not sure if the emperors generally develop longer fins, but if they do do not keep them with tiger barbs unless you plan on a group of 12 or more where they’ll divide the aggression/fin nipping between themselves
i kept the tiger barbs prior to the gouramis and neon. I had a group of 10, but it didn’t go well so I am trying to avoid fin nippers

The fish listed need a larger tank. I'm not sure on the blue flame tetra without the scientific name. The Kerri tetra suggested by ncaquatics could work though. You can check on https://www.seriouslyfish.com for species requirements. Seriouslyfish doesn't always show hardness in ppm, so your hardness in dH is 8.9.
Apologies I did get them wrong it is a 30” by 18” by 12” (L W H)

I am going to attempt a list here of considerations one should keep in mind when selecting stock, especially in the starting stage of building an aquarium.

1. Compatibility (Fin nipping etc.) (Here tank size, number two, goes along way with some species)
2. Tank size.
3. Water Chemistry (Soft water fish should not be mixed with hard water fish)
4. Temperature compatibility
5. Adult size, (this goes hand in hand with number two.)
6. Shoaling fish / Schooling fish. (This is important because some fish have to have a sufficient number in size to feel safe and not stressed)

There could be other factors to consider that I have not thought of, but a person should do exhaustive research on stocking using the above to help create a healthy community aquarium.
Why this forum is a great place to ponder ideas!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back