Which group of tetras to get for 30 gallon

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Stefan3289

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Currently have a 29 gallon with 3 honey gouramis, 8 Cory catfish (plan to get it to 10) and then 6 moss balls (if they really count)

I was debating which group of fish I could add. I have tried tiger barbs and cardinal neons, but no luck. How many could I add of these?

Black neon
Emperor tetra
Blue flame tetra
Black phantom tetra

What are the tank dimensions (length x width x height)?

What is the GH (general hardness), KH (carbonate hardness) and pH of your water supply?
This information can usually be obtained from your water supply company's website or by telephoning them. If they can't help you, take a glass full of tap water to the local pet shop and get them to test it for you. Write the results down (in numbers) when they do the tests. And ask them what the results are in (eg: ppm, dGH, or something else).

Depends on whether you want to have contrasting fish or contrasting scape ;)

how bout Black Skirt or White Skirt tetra or both

I like the emperors a lot. I used to have some but gave them away unfortunately. It’s very easy to tell the difference between male and female because of their eye colour. They are probably the largest on your list and get to 6cm so if you go with them go with 6 I think. Maybe if the tank was a bit bigger you could have 8 but 6 is a good starting point

Yes apologies so my GH is around 160 ppm
(Moderately soft water)
KH is 0
PH is 7
Tank demensions are 24” x 12” x 18” (L W H)
Currently have a an open scape with two large bushy fake plants (I plan on getting real ones in the future since my lights can support)
@Colin_T

how bout Black Skirt or White Skirt tetra or both
I was thinking of getting black skirts, maybe even a bleeding heart tetra (somewhat similar to white skirt I believe if I have the name right). Only thing I am afraid is fin nipping, as the tiger barbs I had slowly killed each other out till I decided to return the few that were left.

I like the emperors a lot. I used to have some but gave them away unfortunately. It’s very easy to tell the difference between male and female because of their eye colour. They are probably the largest on your list and get to 6cm so if you go with them go with 6 I think. Maybe if the tank was a bit bigger you could have 8 but 6 is a good starting point
I think 6 would be a good starting point. Did your swim around middle/top or more bottom? As the top half of my tank is usually empty

Emperors are very nice but they are quite big, ive got a couple boys almost at the 3 inch mark and they can be a bit sassy, in a smaller tank they may not have the space to get away from each other and this could turn physical.
Mine spar often, but usually isn't physical (theyre also in a 55 gallon and use the full thing)

An alternative to the emperor in terms of looks is the Kerri tetra, the super blues are nice and they look close to emperors only a lot smaller and lack the tail extension.

Emperors are very nice but they are quite big, ive got a couple boys almost at the 3 inch mark and they can be a bit sassy, in a smaller tank they may not have the space to get away from each other and this could turn physical.
Mine spar often, but usually isn't physical (theyre also in a 55 gallon and use the full thing)

An alternative to the emperor in terms of looks is the Kerri tetra, the super blues are nice and they look close to emperors only a lot smaller and lack the tail extension.
Is another name for it the “Royal tetra”? If so it looks amazing! Only thing is, I have never seen them anywhere, even on the website I order fish from. However, I’ll try to find them! However, no rush as I want to see what other people think!

I think 6 would be a good starting point. Did your swim around middle/top or more bottom? As the top half of my tank is usually empty
They were in the middle to top range. I think mine were some sort of hybrid as they had very long fins. If you are going to go with emperors though you shouldn’t keep them with slow moving fish or fin nippers. Say you had angelfish, all of their active ness will stress the angel and you’d either have to remove the angel or the emperors. With fin nippers I’m not sure if the emperors generally develop longer fins, but if they do do not keep them with tiger barbs unless you plan on a group of 12 or more where they’ll divide the aggression/fin nipping between themselves

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back