Which fish should I keep ?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

FishEs2978

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi all ! So I have a stocked 180l tank with one shark , 8 rummy noses , few kribs , couple plecos , one key hole and 9 cherries and 3 khuli loaches , now the question is that I want to get 5 torpedo barbs / denisons , 5 Kerri tetras , one large African blue shrimp and 2 clowns . The clowns will eventually go in my bigger tank but are any of there new breeds going to be aggressive or will there be any problems ?

By clowns, do you mean clown plecos or clown loaches? Clown loaches need a group of five or more, and a much larger tank. They're a very smart, social species, and they can get big. I mean huge. I share this video to show people just how unfair it is to cram a couple of these into a 40-50 gallon. They really need a social group, and need space to reach their potential. Bear in mind that these are going into an 800 gallon tank...

If you want to keep monster sized fish, you need monster sized tanks!

No to torpedo barbs as well, I'm afraid. They need a tank at least 120 cm long, and unless your 180 litre is an odd shape it won't be long enough for them.

If this was my tank, I'd increase the numbers of rummy noses to around 12 to 15, and kuhli loaches to around 10. The tank would then be fully stocked.

Okay mine is 110cm long would I be able to just scrape by ? And if I bought a bigger tank is their temperament good ?

And if I bought a bigger tank is their temperament good ?
Sorry, missed this bit.

They are very active fish and should be kept with other very active fish in a larger tank. They would stress sedate fish with their swimming behaviour. I wouldn't like to mix them with rummy noses and probably not cherry barbs (assuming that's what you meant by "cherries")

Yes that’s what I meant ... that’s annoying I really like the idea of those fish would having a heavily planted tank change that ?

Not really. The fast swimming would still upset the sedate swimmers.

Of course you could always have 2 tanks.......... ;)

Ok so I won’t get torpedos and clowns are the other fish I’ve listed ok I’d love another tank lol but my dad won’t let me sadly

I’d also just like to ask on a side note if my 180l is overstocked ? So the exact numbers are
5x smallish bristlenose plecos
2x large ones ( I am selling one )
1 x keyhole cichlid
2 x Pearl gourami
3 khuli loaches
Around 6 kribensis 2 are breeding
2 swordtails ( selling them )
3 albino plecos ( small )
9 cherries
8 rummy noses
7 neons
2 Raphael ( considering selling them but not sure ) ?

Plecs make a huge amount of mess so I'd start be rehoming most of them, maybe keep just one.
Then you have 3 species of shoaling fish (cherry barbs, rummy noses and neons) so rehome one of them.
The swordtails you say will be going and I'd definitely rehome the raphaels.

African cichlids (kribs) and American cichlids (the keyhole) shouldn't really be kept together as they evolved on separate continents and don't understand each others' signals. So either rehome all the kribs or the keyhole. And if you decide to rehome the keyhole, I would also reduce the numbers of kribs.

This would probably still leave you a bit overstocked, but not nearly as badly as now.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back