Which Fish for algae cleaning?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

William

TFF Founder
Retired Moderator ⚒️
Reaction score
I have been recoomened otos however the shops all around me have none and they don't know when they will get any :angry: .

Should I hold out for some otos or what other algae eaters are there? I know plecos eat it but they grow big don't they and my tank is 36". It has finished its cycle with 6 platies and ammonia and nitrite have been 0 for about 4 days.

Thanks a lot

William

They had some algae eaters but I have heard that these are aggressive? so I didn't buy any.

Also would it be possible for me to get 6 guppies in my tank now because I have seen some REALLY nice ones!!

Plec's are great in my tank and yes the only prob is that they get too big :angry:
Algae eaters have a habbit where they eat other fishes scales. so I don't recomend them :(
Flying foxes are a good fish but dont do as good a job.
Your right about otos even i can't get them 8)

The shop had them when I got my platies and I thought ooh those look cool and I really wanted them but I knew they would be no good for cycling.

I came back 2 and 1/2 weeks later and they were completely sold out :( Pets at home got their new fish today but they say they don't get otos as part of their shipment :angry:

Any type of plecs u reccomend? I think the shop only has common ones but I would like something bit more unusual eg :spotted or black and white stripes. I hear the common ones are the ones who grow big!

William

How many plecs?

And can I get 6 guppies too tommorow ? (nitrIte and Amm. 0 for 4 days now :) )

Thnx

William

Guppies are fine :)
Try Redfin Dwarf Plec, Parotocinclus maculicauda they only grow to about 2inch.
Or Striped sucker catfish Peckoltia vittala

Hi William,

I too heard that otto's were good for algea cleaning, but again i looked around my lfs to find that they were hard to find. Any way eventually i got one lfs to order some in for me. I had three fish off them, but two died after a month. (aparently they are hard to interdouce to a tank) :hmm: . The one surving otto is doing fine. When i set my new tank up i am going to get some more to help the single one keep the tank clean. From what i gather if you manage to keep them 3 months in the tank then you are over the worst. My otto's that died just keeled over. :(

Hope this helps.

Gaza t

Otto's are very hard to keep alive for the first 3 months. Trust me I have had 10 in the last year and only 1 has survived. If you can get them to last past the 3 months you will have a very clean tank. I haven't had to do any algae patrol in the tank I have my one otto in in over 6 months. There is a saying about ottos that is very true..."A fat otto is a happy otto". Rose

Ok in the meantime I will get a pleco and if it gets too big I will take it back to the fish store.

I never knew otos were hard to keep also :( but I will try if I can find some!

William

Plecos must be the best vacuum cleaners in the fish world. I only have a 60 ltr tank but a small pleco took only 4 days to make it sparkling clean. They will grow too big for smaller tanks but in the meantime enjoy a tank free of algae and eventually you can swop the pleco for a smaller one.   :grin:

Excellent!! I have one pleco in my tank I think it is a 'gibiceps' pleco. I hope it does the business for me! I have noticed algae on the glass near where the filter flow comes out. Will the pleco be able to clean this as it is where the filter pumps out the water.

Thanks, I have some driftwood and he seems to like that :)

William

Also he seems to have gone slightly whitish not whitespot anyone know why?

It should be fine for now, just keep an eye on it :look:
Theres no reason why it can't clean it. there quite strong when sucking on the glass
:)

Some of them are
  • Bristlenose Plecostomus (Bristlenose plecos) Bristlenose plecos are a great addition to most aquariums. ...
  • Siamese Algae Eater. ...
  • Chinese Algae Eater. ...
  • Otocinclus Catfish. ...
  • Twig Catfish. ...
  • Nerite Snail. ...
  • Cherry Shrimp. ...
  • Amano Shrimp...

Last edited:
Hey :)
Hold out ;)
As your tank is rather small Otocinclus affinis are fine, a group of 8 should work.

Most reactions

trending

Back