Which Filter To Go For?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

freerunner416

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hi,

My Tetratec EX1200 sprung a leak a month ago pushing a sixth of my 260 litre tank out onto the carpet... etc.
angry.png
  So after then taking the tank down to let the carpet and the unit dry out i set it all back up last night. I had hoped that the filter was okay and it had just been blocked or something but no... the leak is still there. Fish are back in the tank with a small internal filter working on it! So i need a new filter...

I get that everybody will have there favourites, but there is such a vast difference in the price of the filters, are the expensive ones (Enheim) any better than the Tetratec or Fluval?  Are the Aqua El or Aqua Vital just all cheap rubbish?

Are internal or hang on filters any worse or any better?

Tank is 260litres with discus if that makes any difference.

Thanks

Craig

I have two JBL e901 externals on my 240 litre tank and I love them. I'd never buy another brand now. They are quiet, efficient (just 13 watts of power) and easy to maintain. 
The reason I have two is I found one wasn't enough for flow on such a large tank and it also means I can alternate maintenance meaning if I over clean the other filter picks up any slack.

I can highly recommend. The e901 costs around £100 with a 5 year guarentee on all parts

What leaks on your Tetratec? They are quite good at replacing defective parts and they are excellent filters.

I hope my FX5 never springs a leak or I will be in deep (geddit?) trouble. Thinks: I must check my hoses for breakdown.

Hi Shiny,

The water seems to be tripping from the handles where the motor part fits the bucket (cant think of a better word for that part :p)

I have been on the tetra website and it lookslike it is the part that connects the hoses to the motor. I am going to order one up and see what happens. Hopefully that will fix for £13 instead of buying another filter.

Sounds like you need a new shut off valve (The black bit on the top that the hoses go in), you have to buy the whole bit they dont sell just the seals. If that does not work its the head seal gone. Unfortunately both have the same results on leaking when they go so might be worth just getting the both.

Thanks Fish Gatherer,

I actually bought the bit the hoses go into yesterday. Hopefully thats all it is.... cross those fingers.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back