Which Disease?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

bear15

Reaction score
Bought a crowntail betta for my young daughter to enjoy. It is in a 2.5 gal tank (smallish, I know). It seems to be doing ok, but has something on its tail-- it could be described as grains of salt look, but it is pretty good sized grains and there are no other unusual markings on the body.I'm trying to remember if we saw this on the fish when we bought it, but we definitely have noticed it for the past week. Anyway, I don't know how to proceed. It doesn't appear to be itching, it eats well, I just don;t want it to die as it is a replacement already and I don't want her little heart broken because her precious fish died again. We lost the original fish a couple of months ago. Many thanks for any help!

Go to the local pet store, find someone in the fish department and ask them.
Or you could go and look for yourself, generally the companies come out with supplements that will cure two or three major different diseases.
Read the various medications until you find one that lists Ich as one of the illnesses treated. In liquid form is best, though powder works as well to. I do not recommend using any that comes in a tablet or that says it should be added to fish food.
The best brands tend to be API, TopFin, Jungle (A personal favorite for medical treatments for my fish), and Marina. Those brands may not be available in your area however, but generally finding a fish medication for Ich is very easy if one cares to research :)

Go to the local pet store, find someone in the fish department and ask them.
Or you could go and look for yourself, generally the companies come out with supplements that will cure two or three major different diseases.
Read the various medications until you find one that lists Ich as one of the illnesses treated. In liquid form is best, though powder works as well to. I do not recommend using any that comes in a tablet or that says it should be added to fish food.
The best brands tend to be API, TopFin, Jungle (A personal favorite for medical treatments for my fish), and Marina. Those brands may not be available in your area however, but generally finding a fish medication for Ich is very easy if one cares to research :)
While it may not be hard to find a medication, the question was the easiest. When I think easiest, I think effective and quick, and none of the meds you listed really helped my ich problems years ago. Research is good, but having experience with a product and able to clarify its effectiveness is better.

Ok, so today I'm really confused. I have done NOTHING to the tank and I no longer see the white dots on the tail. What could this possibly be? Could it just be nothing and I'm being paranoid or could it be some type of parasite that gets on and off the betta?

http://www.skepticalaquarist.com/ichthyophthirius

this is a very good read on ich and it'll help when tackling this problem. Since it's not so serious you can try using salt or just heat like mentioned above.

If the dots are gone, they may have been tiny bubbles. Keep an eye on him for behavior changes and what not in case it comes back. Keep some ich meds on hand so you can treat right away :)

If the dots are gone, they may have been tiny bubbles. Keep an eye on him for behavior changes and what not in case it comes back. Keep some ich meds on hand so you can treat right away :)

Thanks for all you input. I pick up the ich meds yesterday, but I don't want to use unless necessary. He looks fine (gorgeous red with blue and white)and the dots seem to be gone. I did a water change and added salt and bumped the temp slightly. I finally pinpointed that the dots reminded me of fiber optic lights-- small, but not tiny and bright under lights-- that is, when they were there. The fish seems quite healthy, so I figure the salt can only help in general. I let you know if things change.

i treat ick by raising the temp of the water and adding sea salt.
then i do frequent water changes. i do this with every fish i get from petco. the one by me is infested with ick

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back