Which Corys Do You Have?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
I just read an article that the commonly sold "Green Corys" are sometimes a totally different species, distinguished from true Green Corys by the amount of rays on the fins.  I forget how many exactly, but very interesting...

CoryLover95 said:
I just read an article that the commonly sold "Green Corys" are sometimes a totally different species, distinguished from true Green Corys by the amount of rays on the fins.  I forget how many exactly, but very interesting...

There are green corydoras as in bronze aeneus corys and then "emerald green corys" as in corydoras brochis splendens, which aren't exactly corydoras and have more rays on the dorsals.

Solid Black schultzei & solid black Venezuelans are the same fish according to a heated debate on Planet catfish, true black Venezuelans are not solid black

Black Shultzei have been also called Black aeneus from Venezuela due to confusion in the markings but these are not the same as corydoras Venezuelans, which aren't even black but have a green and rusty orange patches.  Black shultzei or whatever they are called, are line bred fish by humans from normal shultzei.
The name "corydoras venezuelanus black" is another wrong name given to black shultzei/black aeneus from Venezuela, but they aren't from Venezuela :) and aren't corydoras venezuelans.

Please read the reasoning from Ian Fuller's:
"Corydoras venezuelanus was first described by Ihering in 1911, but Nijssen & Isbruecker, 1980b placed it in synonymy with Corydoras aeneus.Those of us that have kept and bred this species will know that their decision was wrong, but having said that we have the distinct advantage of working with live fishes."

And a further clarification by Hans-Georg Evers.

"I knew the guy who "created" the "black aeneus". His name was Hartmut
Eberhardt. He lived in Weimar and was a dear friend of Dr. Hanns-
Joachim Franke. Both were my friends and both are already dead and it
seems, that some storys need to be retold. Hartmut had the very first
black aeneus amongst his thousands of normally coloured ones of the
"schultzei-type". The black ones have orange fins in the first months
of their life and so does one type of aeneus from Venezuela. This type
lives in the Llanos of Venezuela and also Colombia and is regularly
being imported. When they darken their body colouration (stress,
light, etc.) they resemble the black youngsters and this might have
lead to the name Black aeneus from Venezuela."

Agreed. I have three venezuelans and their fins are very rusty in color. They're really handsome, I'll try and find a pic....

They're not the best, these little guys are never still!!!! :rolleyes:

They are beautiful corys greenmumma. They remind me of corydoras eques which are one of my favourites and I'll get one day. :)

Thanks Snazy :)  I wish I could find more! I feel bad having only 3 of them, but I don't regret buying them. They were pretty sickly when I brought them home, no barbels at all. Now their barbels are nice and long and they've actually started to grow ;)

You can try making them spawn for you once they grow, then you'll have too many :)
Corydoras venezuelanus don't grow too big, that's why it seems to you they stay small probably.

:blink: A little embarrassed to say that I honestly never thought of that lol.  I would love to get them to spawn :hey: . Now that my water problems seem to be solved, I've been waiting for my greens to spawn again, and during my rescaping today, she started laying eggs everywhere! by the time I was finished, they were gone :angry:  Next time Ill be ready :)

I can never get the eggs on time myself. They disappear almost immediately and the last time I was putting plastic cups trying to isolate the eggs until they harden a bit so I can move them. But the corys spawn so often you'll get your chance early or later.

Currently I have 1 peppered, 1 sterbai, and 3 pandas. I'm going to up their numbers as soon as I get my 30 gal. Set up again these are just what survived my last Ich outbreak :( I do have a patch of sand in with the gravel but will be doing a full escape as soon soon as my plants arrive in the mail, going with sand and all natural plants/rocks/driftwood this time, I prefer the loom to the plastic ornaments I have now and it will benefit the fish too. Here are some pics.

Attachments

• 20130530_162922-1.jpg
    20130530_162922-1.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 120
  • 20130530_162749-1.jpg
    20130530_162749-1.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 134
  • 20130530_162843-1.jpg
    20130530_162843-1.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 131
  • 20130530_162859-1.jpg
    20130530_162859-1.jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 136
Pandas are so cute, I have bronze corys and 1 little albino, buying 6-12 pygmy/dainty corys for my shrimp tank in a few weeks
smile.png

Well to update, after losess and gains.
7 Bronze, 3 are offspring.
3 Peppered. Getting 3 more in a couple weeks.

As to favorites, all of them.

I had 3 sailfin corys and 2 died randomly i checked the water ph, temp, hardness, ammonia and all my other fish were fine. what happend?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back