Which Coldwater fish don't eat plants?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

W4J

Reaction score
Hi, I recently set up a tank outside near my shed. I'm using this tank to grow out plants. In the next few months the temperature will be between 17-28 degrees C.
Are there any small (below 15cm) fish that can survive these temperatures, that will not eat my plants?
And are they available within the uk?

Most barbs, danios and a lot of tetras will be fine at those temperatures. It depends on how big the tank is as to what can live in it.

Medakas and white cloud mountain minnows, paradise fish, American flag (Jordanela floridae), bitterlings

What do you intend to do with the fish in winter? None of the fish Colin suggested can survive outdoors in temperatures that are likely to drop below freezing point.

I would say your best bet in the UK are endlers, I have some outside now, white clouds and variatus platies all common in shops around here.

What do you intend to do with the fish in winter? None of the fish Colin suggested can survive outdoors in temperatures that are likely to drop below freezing point.
I have 2 tanks inside so I will move them indoors, as well as the plants when it gets to autumn.

T
Most barbs, danios and a lot of tetras will be fine at those temperatures. It depends on how big the tank is as to what can live in it.

Medakas and white cloud mountain minnows, paradise fish, American flag (Jordanela floridae), bitterlingsthn

Medakas and white cloud mountain minnows, paradise fish, American flag (Jordanela floridae), bitterlings
Thanks for your response. It’s about 125 litres, however I’m looking for just a few small fish so it’s easy to maintain.
Do you know if the fish you listed above are known for eating live plants?

White clouds definitely won't neither will Paradise gourami, but I had one once and whilst it was a gorgeous fish I could keep nothing else with it as it was so aggressive, I haven't kept the others to advise.

I have white clouds outside all year round, we get frosts and the pond they are in gets ice on it. So white clouds are your best bet especially for 125 liters.

I have white clouds outside all year round, we get frosts and the pond they are in gets ice on it. So white clouds are your best bet especially for 125 liters.
Thanks for the suggestions, I think white clouds are the best choice they seem to be happy in these temperatures.
Do you know if they eat plants?
They are omnivores.

According to Seriously Fish, examination of their stomach contents showed that wild white clouds eat small insects, worms, crustaceans etc. They may look as though they are eating plants but will probably be eating micro-organisms off the leaves.

Thanks for the suggestions, I think white clouds are the best choice they seem to be happy in these temperatures.
Do you know if they eat plants?
They are omnivores.
No, they won't harm your plants

According to Seriously Fish, examination of their stomach contents showed that wild white clouds eat small insects, worms, crustaceans etc. They may look as though they are eating plants but will probably be eating micro-organisms off the leaves.
Thank you, I decided to get white clouds and the plants are growing great as well.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back