Which breeding technique for koi gives good results

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Aniket

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I have seen hand made breeding and natural breeding of koi. Which one gives large number of fry?
In hand breeding there is greenish fluid is there, are those all eggs?
But in natural breeding we can see eggs then whats green fluid comes out from female koi?

I don’t know about. Koi but my pond comets just lay eggs and the male swims over and fertilized. No green stuff at all, thank God. :)

Milking eggs and sperm from fish needs to be done by professionally trained people and is not recommended for the average hobbyist. The fish are conditioned for a few weeks and then injected with hormones. 2-24 hours later the fish are stripped of eggs and sperm, which get mixed in shallow trays and left to develop.

It is less stressful to the fish if they are put in a pond and left to their own devices. They don't get handled or injected and will breed when they are ready.

You get a similar amount of eggs from both techniques but none of the eggs get eaten by the parents or other predators when you milk the parents and incubate the eggs in separate trays. If you have a nice pond with no insect pests and lots of plants, and you remove the adults after breeding, you get lots of young.

Female koi can produce thousands of eggs during one spawning so unless you plan on supplying pet/ pond shops with koi, there is no need to keep all the eggs alive.

The following link has some info on hormone spawning of koi carp.
https://blueridgekoi.com/our-company/breeding-process/

Milking eggs and sperm from fish needs to be done by professionally trained people and is not recommended for the average hobbyist.

I can't really reiterate this enough, if you don't know what you are doing you WILL end up killing the fish. I do this regularly with fish that I work with, and would not consider doing it to any fish for my hobby and certainly would not recommend it to any hobbyist.

Just let your fish spawn naturally, the best ways to ensure a good number of juveniles is to provide good water quality, good temperatures ect and good nutrition.

I have had to strip an egg bound female before but had no green liquid. Unless the green is only fertilized eggs. She couldn’t release her eggs and infection started. I’m a little puzzled. I breed goldies but the fish do fine on their own. I have never had to assist them. I can easily have several hundred eggs from one female. There is no need to milk the eggs. I place breeding mops in the tank and pull the mops/eggs out once fertilized and place them in a nursery tank. In 2 or 3 days I have fry.

Last edited:
I breed every Spring but the fish do fine on their own. I have never had to assist them.
Stripping fish is usually done to improve egg management eg disinfection and incubation. In high value species, Salmon, trout ect it is done to ensure the best chance for each egg as well as disinfection and better incubation. Even in some other species It can help, but requires good knowledge of their reproductive biology to do this correctly. But most people can get good results just letting them spawn naturally.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back