Where to put phosphate absorber in the tank?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Feline

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Hello! :)

I bought a box of phosphate absorber (Rowa phos) today hoping to control the spread of algae in my tank.

However, the instructions there r not so clear. I don't know where's the best place to put the sack?!

Do u guys have any suggestions? :teacher: Thanks! :)

hi,
when i had to use it i hung it in front of the filter outlet flow, so that the fast water went through it, just tie some string and round the bag and fix it under the lid.
sue

i stuck mine in the filter....

as water passes through the filter it absorbs the phosphate.

I put mine in a seperate external filter that is much smaller than suggested for the tank size (i have two large filters running as well before anyone thinks im under filtering the tank),this way it has a smaller ammount of water of water passing over it than if in the large filter so it lasts a little bit longer.

Placing the bag inside the filter seperated by some filter floss is the best place. So when the filter pulls in the detritus and filters the water up through the system, it passes thhrough the remover and then out back into the tank. A word of caution. Check your water after 2 weeks or so, because if you have a lot of phosphate in the water and the resin is full, it will dump the phosphate back into your tank.

Thanks for the advice, guys!!

I noticed the water has turned a bit brown when I put the sack in... -_-

Dragon, may b it's a silly question to ask... when u say putting it between filter floss, I still need to put the absorber in the sack first? And how do I check the water?

when i got one i put it in side this ornment that i also have the bubble rock inside of so the bubbles would push it up and u couldnt see it

Feline, yes place the resin in a nylon sack and then wrap a single layer of filter floss loosely around the sack. Then place this in the outlet part of your filter.
To test for phosphates, what I would suggest is that you buy a liquid test kit specifically designed for phosphates. A good lfs should have test kits in stock. Otherwise you can buy a dip stick pack, which tests for other chemicals in the water. A little more expensive, but nevertheless just as useful.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back