Where to find free daphnia starter culture?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Blackwater guru

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I have a 145 liter freshwater aquarium that hosts 15 wild caught cardinal tetras among other fish like ram cichlids and catfish.

I have had this aquarium since late december of 2019 but I only got it set up and running during early january and back then it was just 10 tetras and 4 corydoras duplicareus catfish that kickstarted the nitrogen cycle for my undergravel filter.

I recently got the idea of feeding my fish other things besides the tetramin fishflakes and the frozen mosquito larvae because I am gonna try feeding them tiny pieces of frozen spinach and eventually daphnia.

I have read how to breed daphnia but the only problem is that wherever I look I can not find any info on how to find infusoria starter culture that does not involve buying it or asking for others that have it.

I am interested in making my south american blackwater aquarium as authentic as possible without going too far with it which is why I am gonna try feeding them things like fruits , veggies, and crustaceans like daphnia .

The choice I think is buying it or collecting it yourself. The small bags of daphnia that you can get in Fish shops in the UK cost about £1.50.

Cardinal tetras don't eat spinach but you can add green water to their tank.

Unless you live near a lake or pond, it's easier to buy a small bag of live daphnia and use that as a starter culture.

The following link has information on how to make green water and infusoria cultures. Daphnia can be kept in and fed on both of these.

Cardinal tetras don't eat spinach but you can add green water to their tank.

Unless you live near a lake or pond, it's easier to buy a small bag of live daphnia and use that as a starter culture.

The following link has information on how to make green water and infusoria cultures. Daphnia can be kept in and fed on both of these.

Well luckily I live right next to a decent sized lake in the countryside so that should not be a problem.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back