Where to Buy Fish?!?!?!?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

JayLB

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
So I live in Newfoundland, Canada. And to say there is few to no places to buy fish here, is an understatement. Unless you want to venture into a pet smart or pet valu, WHICH is still 7 hours from me, and the selection is basically guppies, and platys.

Where can I buy nice fish online that I can get shipped to me, and not break the bank? But still get quality fish.

ANY help is appreciated.

I don't know if they ship to Canada but Dan's Fish has a REALLY good reputation and I'm lucky enough to live right by their warehouse.
You can use their 'contact link' at the bottom of the linked page to see if they can help you. One thing to keep in mind that shipping through a good supplier is expensive as they will normally insist on next day.

I think @GaryE is also Canadian and might be able to help!

ETA: @JayLB While I usually loathe Facebook and facebook groups, I have to admit that it can be a useful resource. Would be worth looking for fishkeeping clubs and groups in your area. I'm starting to get fish from local hobbyists in my area now, rather than from stores or online. If you can get connected with other hobbyists nearby, it's often a great way to get healthy fish from people close to you, and often stuff you don't find in stores. Worth a shot anyway, you can't be the only fishkeeper in the area!

Or talking to the stores you do have, see if they can order in the fish you want? That does kind of place a burden on you to buy it, but even if they ordered in something special, if it was sickly looking, I'd still refuse to buy it.

There is only one importer of freshwater tropical fish that I know of in Canada, and that is Below Water in Montreal, owned by Oliver Lucanus who is a highly knowledgeable collector and importer of rarer fishes. Oliver used to only provide wholesale, but from his latest list he may be doing smaller orders now. His email is [email protected] and I believe he has a Facebook site and I know he has a Twitter site.

Local independent stores usually import now and then, but I've no idea about shipping. Ordering from the USA is not easy due to customs, fish/plant diseases issue, etc, and I don't even know if any still do.

Send me a message and I can give you leads. Shipping is brutal and I am a pessimist, but a lot will depend on where in Newfoundland and what kind of fish you like.

I don't know if they ship to Canada but Dan's Fish has a REALLY good reputation and I'm lucky enough to live right by their warehouse.
You can use their 'contact link' at the bottom of the linked page to see if they can help you. One thing to keep in mind that shipping through a good supplier is expensive as they will normally insist on next day.
I need to order from Dan next time I'm in the market. It's exciting having a semi-local fish store, and his stock list is pretty fantastic!

I need to order from Dan next time I'm in the market. It's exciting having a semi-local fish store, and his stock list is pretty fantastic!
They are still settings up in the new warehouse so some of his listed stock is currently unavailable. Mayhaps they are actually setup now. I haven't looked in a few weeks.

Hello. I live in Quebec and if you give me an idea of what kind fish you want I can recommend some online stores in Quebec and Ontario that ship for 30$ in the Summer. ;)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back