Where have all the fishes gone?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Jan Cavalieri

Fish Addict
Pet of the Month 🎖️
Reaction score
I need to restock my tanks but want to do it very carefully with fish I'm familiar with and fish I know will get on well. What I'm finding is that there are NO FISH TO BE FOUND other than the very most basic fish. Six months ago I could have filled my order without any problem - now I can't find the fish at all or not as many as I need.

The online stores (which in turn ship to local fish stores all over) are out of just about everything. According to them Corona-19 has caused all the problem - they've had to lay off all their non-family staff so they aren't shipping as quickly as usual - but they don't mention why it impacts which fish they get. I realize this virus is world wide but aren't some people working, Unless they are ill themselves nothing should prevent them from diving for more fish. My tanks look so bare and empty and even my fish seem bored. I realize I want some unusual fish (chocolate Gorami at $30 probably wouldn't be a big hit at PetSmart, but I don't know why they don't ship and introduce the $8 Dojo to more people (other than they are very messy). I'm also after an all white Betta (or at least mostly white) and am willing to pay for the cost of something like this - but there are rarely new betta available online or in the stores.

Also - as I've discovered here - there are MANY great species that are easy to raise and not expensive that never show up at PetSmart or Petco. It's like they just order the same old thing. Is anybody else experiencing the same problem?

I've talked to my lfs a few times and he's mentioned even now it's hard to get fish in due to this pandemic.

He gets fish, but the store is clearly stocked less and with fish he normally doesn't bring in.

Petco and petsmart by me have had mostly empty tanks for months.

Also - as I've discovered here - there are MANY great species that are easy to raise and not expensive that never show up at PetSmart or Petco. It's like they just order the same old thing. Is anybody else experiencing the same problem?
Yes, I have.

I notice that a lot of the Petco/Petsmart tanks are bare. My LFS is still getting fish, and there's no problem there. I guess big retail stores have more problems getting fish than smaller LFS's do.

Yes, I think most countries are experiencing this problem especially those that are importing fish from far away.

My country has started to allow the selling of livestocks since 19 June.
Most of our LFS have just started to get more fish.
But our neighbouring countries have many fish farms.
So, our LFS received new stocks in just within 1-2 weeks.
I have been buying fish and plants since 19 June.

When I was looking for otos I chatted to the manager of one shop who said the problem was basically there are barely any transports coming out of South America and live fish aren't high on the list of priorities for freight companies. A Betta importer who imports from their family fish farm in Thailand is also having the same problem. There's much less shipping going on and what is occurring is prioritising other cargo.

There are still severe delays in international shipments, so most places that source their fish from foreign farms cannot get their stock as easily.

Even my favourite online store is mostly stocked with local breeders fish.

I ordered a heater from Europe back in March lol I still am waiting on it thanks to the delays. And its coming from Ireland!

Imagine the delays from overseas countries in South America or Asia. It would cause a lot of loss in those shipped fish caught in the severe delays.

I have the same problem. Basically most stores aren't selling fish. The Stores don't want to transport the fish as it causes travel. I think its dumb but thats the way it is

Most countries are in lock down and that includes Asia where the fish are bred.
The Wholesalers/ exporters in Asia are closed for the most part.
Airlines are closed and only urgent things are being sent by air.
The importers in other countries are in lock down as are the government departments that that inspect fish at airports.
The wholesalers in our countries can't get fish and most aren't working currently anyway.
The shops can't get fish because there aren't many fish being exported from Asia.

I have the same problem. Basically most stores aren't selling fish. The Stores don't want to transport the fish as it causes travel. I think its dumb but thats the way it is
Not sure why you think it's dumb!

Exporting fish from areas of high contamination; risking LIVE FISH getting stuck and SUFFOCATING due to unexpected lockdowns at airports, and of course, food and medicines being given priority. What's "dumb" about prioritising necessities, reducing likelihood of spreading the disease, and minimising the suffering and stress of living creatures?

My LFS is just heavily stocked with Guppies and Goldfish :rofl:

Everyone is having problems getting stock in, even lfs that have been around forever. My online suppliers that I normally use are way done on stock and prices are up on what you can get. In order for me to get large, healthy, good quality neon tetras (a basic starter fish), I am paying around $2.50 a fish. I use to pick them up for $1.50. They simply aren’t shipping from Taiwan and Indonesia at the moment. It is due to the Pandemic. Sadly, it will be this way for quite some time.

This is why people need to breed fish locally.

Deanasue could breed her neons. I think Jan had blue gouramis going in one tank. Someone has baby sparkling gouramis. Plenty of people breed livebearers. JuiceBox has a couple of different Bettas that should be breeding by now (hint hint :) ).

Come on people, breed your own fish and sell them to the pet shops.

The following link has info on culturing live foods for baby fish.

Deanasue could breed her neons. I think Jan had blue gouramis going in one tank. Someone has baby sparkling gouramis. Plenty of people breed livebearers. JuiceBox has a couple of different Bettas that should be breeding by now (hint hint :) ).

I did this for a long time and agree. I have retired this year though.

I did this for a long time and agree. I have retired this year though.
I was under the impression your betta room was for breeding purposes? Hows that going by the way?

Will the pet shops by them though?

It's been a long time since any of the shops I know use anything except "proper" breeders.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back