Where do you get your shrimp from?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

julielynn47

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I know I can get ghost shrimp at just about any fish store I go in. But where does a person get the other breeds?
I have not seen any of the others in any of the places I have been in.

So where does one acquire these little gems anyway?

I know sellers on Amazon have reds, yellows, oranges and blues. I don't know how well shrimp ship though.

Shrimp always ship well. Don't buy from ebay or amazon or big places. Buy either from local breeders, or breeders online. Here are some good websites. imperialtropicals.com and aquaticarts.com

Ive ordered from both places but aquatic arts is a bit steep on prices.

Thanks, I will check them out

That second one Aquatic Arts is selling on Amazon as well

Last edited:
Will follow with interest.
Also a future shrimp keeper.

I find the small family run stores are more likely to have some than the big chains

I wish I had some family run stores around me. But alas, Pet Smart and Petco are about all I have to choose from. There is one fish store that is not a big chain, but they don't have shrimp, or I have never seen any anyway. They have a lot of fish the other 2 stores don't have though.

I agree with CooledWhip. I'd suggest going online for best chances, it can cost considerably more but you end up getting healthier and more unique shrimp. The only shrimp i've seen in LPS are ghost shrimp and saltwater shrimp. I know my LFS also has red cherry shrimp.

Yeah first stop should be people who breed online, NOT stores. Last resort is stores. They try to make a buck on you, but if you are a kid who is just breeding shrimp in a couple of 20 gallon tanks you won't be expecting a super pricey amount for them. I don't know when you want these buy but I will be purchasing a group sometime in early november at an aquatic convention, and hopefully after a few weeks I should have some grown shrimp to sell off.

I plan on starting the tank out with Ghost Shrimp because, to be honest, they are cheap and I know I can get them just about anywhere I go. I love the little things. I want to see how they do and then I want to get some of reds and other colors.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back