Where Did He Come From!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

GTS_MAD

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

im doing a fishless cycle as we speak everything brand new and was testing my water last night, and found a small snail on the glass, i didnt get his out yet as im unsure where he had come from?

Any ideas and is he ok in there?

Nope, no plant in there.

Really unsure where he is from, he wont hurt being in there will he

anything transferred from your old tanks? snail eggs could have hitched a ride :rolleyes:
if i were you, i would remove him if he is a pest snail. pest snails can overtake a tank, and are a pain to control sometimes. any pics?

no pics as i cant find him lol,

but his shell goees to a point it that makes sure and is only small snail

Sounds like a MTS (Malaysian Trumpet snail). These can reach epic numbers very quickly - I feed my tank very sparingly but have hundreds of them. Just had to invest in some assassin snails to try and get the numbers down. They are good because they burrow in the gravel/sand, which stops build up of aerobic air pockets, but can be a pest when there are too many.
HTH
Martin

The exact happened to me, except mine had fish in it, so im presuming the snail came on one of them or on a live plant.

Interesting GTS, you've got everybody going but you never answered iffles question as to whether -anything- in the tank was not brand new from the store. Or perhaps some tool or substance used in another tank went into the new tank? By "brand new" do you just mean a new setup or do you mean all objects associated are brand new?

~~waterdrop~~ :)

i have the same problem i have assassin snails to keep them down. i would kill it quickly because they only need one snail to breed. also they come in the gravel and the plants plants also cat fish.

if it is a MTS, wait till the numbers erupt, then catch as many as u can and eat them....haha sounds kiinda gross to u guys but for us south-east asians like singaporeans and malaysians, we EAT them...its common street hawker food...u might wanna google it if ur interested. Think of it as our version of french escargots...haha anw i was just kidding about u eating the MTS part..hais but they are real delicious i could easily eat a whole plate of them..sorry of the topic and not helping i know...but jus wanna share my view :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

if it is a MTS, wait till the numbers erupt, then catch as many as u can and eat them....haha sounds kiinda gross to u guys but for us south-east asians like singaporeans and malaysians, we EAT them...its common street hawker food...u might wanna google it if ur interested. Think of it as our version of french escargots...haha anw i was just kidding about u eating the MTS part..hais but they are real delicious i could easily eat a whole plate of them..sorry of the topic and not helping i know...but jus wanna share my view :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

really? never knew they were edible let alone commonly eaten :rolleyes:

anyways... back to topic - as waterdrop said hes probably just come from shared equipment or decor - even a net can transfer them probably if it brushes on some eggs in one tank and they fall off in the other.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back