Where Can I Get Pear Or Apple Tree Branches?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

xxBarneyxx

Fish Aficionado
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone had any suggestions on where I can get pear or apple tree branches from?

Are pear and apple trees regularly cut back or not?

The reason I ask is I want to make "toys" for degus but most wood is not very safe for them. Not sure where I could get a fairly large supply of apple or pear tree wood from though.

Have you tried asking some fruit farms? I remember seeing lots of apple/pear farms along the M2.

Thanks, that's what I was thinking. Not sure if apple/pear trees are ever trimmed/cut back though and if they are if it would be this time of the year it is done. Think I will take a drive out over the weekend though and ask about as there are lots of farms around where we live.

I think they get cut back during winter (after all fruits have been harvested) to encourage new shoots for next years fruits. Good luck finding some :)

Hi, I have Degus too :good: You're right about wanting apple wood...they love it!! I'm lucky enough to have my own apple tree and I just saw a branch off randomly and let it dry out before giving it to them...have a look here for things you can and cannot give them.....

http://www.degutopia.co.uk/deguenrich.htm

What do you have? Boys or girls? I have 3 boys....did have 4, but lost my old rescue boy Sam a while back aged 9 :hyper:

Lisa x

I think they get cut back during winter (after all fruits have been harvested) to encourage new shoots for next years fruits. Good luck finding some :)

This is true; they normally get cut back after the fruiting. Some years they will be cut back a lot; other years they will be trimmed. I have an apple and a pear tree in my garden; if they were bigger I'd offer you some wood (my dad severly over-pruned them ages ago and they are still suffering).

Thanks for the replies all :)

Lisa - Yeah I could probably quote you the degutopia site word for word I read it so much before we got them :)

We have a pear tree in our garden but its not very big and I have already "butchered" it enough (if I cut anymore off it then my other half might start cutting bits off me :) ). They do love it though.

Yeah we have 4 girls, had them for about a month now and they are so funny to watch. I would put some photos here but they never stand still long enough to get a decent one :)

:lol: I know the not keeping still bit!!!!!

Will try to hunt out some piccy's of my boys.

Lisa x

willow is also safe for them much more abundant, quicker growing also
scot :)

Oh come on Barney, you live in the Garden of England and you can't find any blooming fruit trees :p

Seffie x

Hey what about plum branches, are they safe for use? I've got a bunch of gerbils I've always wanted to give branches to ever since they destroyed the one I bought for them but have been sceptical about adding anything from my garden. Though we regularly prune our plum tree back so?

Most reactions

trending

Members online

No members online now.
Back