Where are the Hawaiian aquarists?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
One of the best aquarists I know is Hawaiian, but he doesn't do forums or youtube. He astonishes me every time we talk - he can breed fish I can't succeed with. His attention to detail is really something.
But he's from the island and has lived in the same house all his life. I'm sure he's been tempted to sell, but he hasn't been knocked out of his enjoyment by market forces.

There was a news story on Hawaii a few months ago and it was about the locals being unable to afford housing due to major corporations developing Hawaii for the rich and powerful. So the locals live in shanty towns off the local beat, while the rest of the islands have massive multi-billion dollar apartments for rich people to holiday in.

Basically, the locals can't afford a roof over their head, let alone a block of land for aquariums and ponds.
That’s basically true in most of the US.

Koi ponds are popular here, perhaps because of the large Asian population.

I actually did build a decent sized pond at a small house I was renting on Kauai, but I eventually had to move to Oahu for job reasons. I miss that pond so much 🥲. It was amazing watching the little ecosystem develop, complete with frogs, tadpoles, and dragonflies. I only kept mosquito fish and shubunkins in there. The water lilies were beautiful too. Here’s a pic of a damselfly newly emerged from its shell.

6854EAE0-0B38-4015-A341-A4B7AFEB0DBF.jpeg

If you live in the bottom sectors of wage earners, two people can’t manage an apartment rent, not to mention saving for any down payment for a house. Do we live in the same US, where half the population is one paycheck away from disaster?

If you live in the bottom sectors of wage earners, two people can’t manage an apartment rent, not to mention saving for any down payment for a house. Do we live in the same US, where half the population is one paycheck away from disaster?
Yah. I agree... It's bad in the U.S but it's not ALL bad. There is affordable housing it's just where you gotta look. Although now, after the pandemic, prices are sky high... But hopefully it just goes down over time and we'll return to a semi-normal state

Yeah it’s just way magnified in Hawaii. For example in most of the US the average single family home does not cost 1.2 million.

San Francisco LOST 6% of its population because tiny homes start at millions plus. No front yard often included.
Still, has to be a mainlander who moved to Hawaii and brought the fish passion with them and wants to show them off. But,not finding that! as per topic.

San Francisco LOST 6% of its population because tiny homes start at millions plus. No front yard often included.
Thats dumb it costs that much...

The kicker Rocky is..that's an overbid and CASH. Not bs'ing.
Why people bid that much for a tiny home when you can get a nice size home in the mountains...

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back