Where are the Hawaiian aquarists?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Stan510

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Have you noticed that there are none who post regularly or to even be found? THEY who could grow plant or monster fish tanks in the backyard- the whole range- are not to be found. On youtube..ok,one. He keeps guppys!..not exactly exotica.
South Florida has many interesting channels..but Hawaii could do even more. Although Discus are too tropical for even Hawaii outdoors.
Where's the taro in my Arapaima pond posts?

Have you noticed that there are none who post regularly or to even be found? THEY who could grow plant or monster fish tanks in the backyard- the whole range- are not to be found. On youtube..ok,one. He keeps guppys!..not exactly exotica.
South Florida has many interesting channels..but Hawaii could do even more. Although Discus are too tropical for even Hawaii outdoors.
Where's the taro in my Arapaima pond posts?
Oof... sorry bro

There was a news story on Hawaii a few months ago and it was about the locals being unable to afford housing due to major corporations developing Hawaii for the rich and powerful. So the locals live in shanty towns off the local beat, while the rest of the islands have massive multi-billion dollar apartments for rich people to holiday in.

Basically, the locals can't afford a roof over their head, let alone a block of land for aquariums and ponds.

I havent gotten any PM. There has to be a few fish lovers in Hawaii with outdoor ponds with glass. I see that in vids from Singapore/Malaysia. Oscars to Discus in ponds..wild stuff as Johnny used to say.
Guppies are nice...but Arowana are nicer. At least in Hawaii you could use a better quality above ground swimming pool for fish..all the angles.
Has to be somebody who will post.

Hahah I’m in Hawaii. Maui, to be exact. There’s plenty of people out here. But since it’s so isolated and can’t really get things shipped in, unless you get all the proper permits, we all tend to stick to just Hawaii forums on Facebook and such. It’s so frustrating to see all the options you guys on the mainland get while we struggle to find anything. Albeit maui is a different case than Oahu.

My main connection out here has like 10-20 outdoor ponds surrounding her house. It’s pretty amazing. Everything from arowana to Oscars.

I keep all of my tanks, except one little betta 5 gallon, outside in my carport.

There was a news story on Hawaii a few months ago and it was about the locals being unable to afford housing due to major corporations developing Hawaii for the rich and powerful. So the locals live in shanty towns off the local beat, while the rest of the islands have massive multi-billion dollar apartments for rich people to holiday in.

Basically, the locals can't afford a roof over their head, let alone a block of land for aquariums and ponds.
Unfortunately you're right about the cost of living in Hawaii. It is very expensive out here and real estate is just unreal. It's basically the playground for the richest people from all over the world so little is left for the average man (or woman in this case 😉.) Equally frustrating is how great the weather would be to support local farming and yet the overwhelming majority of produce is shipped in from elsewhere because stores can buy it cheaper that way.

Not what I pictured! I expected posts or even front yards to have a tropical pond in Hawaii. These days though I know Covid has made things rough. I can't find albino giant danios these days in the SF bay area. They used to be standards as every store had them. Not now.

Not what I pictured! I expected posts or even front yards to have a tropical pond in Hawaii. These days though I know Covid has made things rough. I can't find albino giant danios these days in the SF bay area. They used to be standards as every store had them. Not now.
As a few others have touched on, it’s very expensive over here. If I owned my own place (houses average 1.2million) I’d have a sweet pond, but being a renter I don’t think the landlord would approve

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back