When you move many monster fish and you are NOT a public aquarium...

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Stan510

Fish Herder
Reaction score
He's got the whole list of what you want in giant aquarium...Goliath- Arapaima- Red Arowana- and its HUGE. The Goliath was full fish drama- you go to see this.
I wonder what he's going to build?
btw- use CC,and then have it auto generated into English.

Sure,a five dollars a day and no need to thank me!

Plus he's now building a 20,000 gallon Aquarium in his backyard. Unlike the old one, I imagine the new one will be even more sheltered.

The sheer variety of fish in those tanks was diabolical. I look forward to seeing what the new facilities are like, especially the filtration. Beyond their looks, does any know why arowana and rays are so expensive?

Beyond their looks, does any know why arowana and rays are so expensive?
Slow to reproduce. Arowana take 5-6 years to mature and only have 20-50ish young at a time. The male guards the eggs and young for a month or so. This means you don't get as many young per year compared to fish that lay 500 eggs every 2 weeks.

Stingrays have live babies and most only have 2-10 per batch. They carry the developing babies for months before giving birth so again, the number they produce each year is tiny compared to most other fishes.

Besides this, not many people breed them and there isn't a huge market for them because you need ponds to keep them in.

Its a good thing CITES has made red Arowana,Tigerfish and Stingrays illegal to own in California. I would have spent $500 for a 3" Asian Arowana...only to see it smash itself to death at 20" or more.
ALL those fish need huge aquariums.

Reactions: 663
I'm glad CITES was able to affect this change, though I'd image it really excites the black market. In the video I noticed them having problems resuscitating a tiger fish. Jeremy Wade caught one that was 10x that size. Of course Wade was going to toss it back. It died in his arms instead. It's amazing that such an intimidating animal could be so fragile.

There was a study on catch and release...and a much higher percentage of fish caught- died later from the stress even as they swam away looking fine. The battering of rocks and shock caused infections.
So on TV it looks like the fish they let go only had their hair messed up when in fact they might have gone belly up within minutes...that's NOT shown.

The incident certainly could have played out this way. Except Wade has earned my respect in many ways. There's no easy way for me to know for sure beyond being there.

Most reactions

Back