When to vaccuum gravel

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Dasmms45

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Morning/afternoon all

Put some guppies into the aquarium yesterday which are doing brilliantly settling in.
Should I leave it a few days before doing any gravel vacuuming, filter washing etc?

A water change of say 30% on a weekly basis is all you need just now. If you have plants theyll utilise the waste, and if you don't then GET SOME PLANTS.
Seriously, a substrate/gravel clean is entirely down to whatever your tank is filled with.

You do a gravel clean whenever you do a water change, which is normally once a week for an established aquarium.

Filters should be cleaned once a month after they are established (finished cycling). But don't clean it for the first 6 weeks because you can stop the beneficial bacteria from developing.

If you have a power filter, you squeeze the filter media/ materials out in a bucket of aquarium water and re-use the media. tip the bucket of dirty water on the lawn.

I have had another few Black Phantom Tetras show up today, I don't vacuum, and I do wonder if they would have survived if I had been vacuuming my substrate. I don't mind my substrate being a little dirty.

Awesome thanks, was just thinking whether I should do the water change/gravel vac so soon, like 1 day, after introducing the guppies or give them a few days to settle?

A water change of say 30% on a weekly basis is all you need just now. If you have plants theyll utilise the waste, and if you don't then GET SOME PLANTS.
Seriously, a substrate/gravel clean is entirely down to whatever your tank is filled with.
I have plants I have plants lol

Loads of beneficial bacteria in your substrate. I do a 25% water change weekly and clean the substrate and filter every 3 weeks. Works well for me 👍

Keep your "filter washing" to a minimum, this is where most of your beneficial bacteria resides, just a light rinse once in a while with aquarium water.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back