When is necessary to have a backup power generator for to offset the energy cuts?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

TiercelR

Reaction score
Hello all,
how many tanks ( or how much volume of liters/gallons ) is the minimum for to consider necessary to have a backup power generator for to offset the energy cuts?

So, oneself can be able of to have a permanent source of electric energy for their aquarium equipment.
Thanks in advance for your comments. Regards.

Last edited:
What is a "micro electrical plant"? Sorry... I really dont know. If its basically a backup power generator, if you can afford it, then get it. They come in great use if the power goes out. Thats if I know what you meant by that :confused:

What is a "micro electrical plant"? Sorry... I really dont know. If its basically a backup power generator, if you can afford it, then get it. They come in great use if the power goes out. Thats if I know what you meant by that :confused:
Hello Rocky998, thanks for your reply. Yes, i wanted to say: a "backup power generator". My native idiom is not the english, which drive me to say a thing instead of another different thing, sorry :)

Hello Rocky998, thanks for your reply. Yes, i wanted to say: a "backup power generator". My native idiom is not the english, which drive me to say a thing instead of another different thing, sorry :)
Yay! I got it right! I waa afraid I would look like an idiot 😅.
We all have our own way to say things, I know that as a backup generator or a backup power surge protector... I would make sure whatever one you get has really good reviews and has a good backup time on it

Yay! I got it right! I waa afraid I would look like an idiot 😅.
We all have our own way to say things, I know that as a backup generator or a backup power surge protector... I would make sure whatever one you get has really good reviews and has a good backup time on it
Hi Rocky998, thanks for the comments ! These are good points for to consider indeed !

I used my car as a backup generator when I lived in an area where we had lots of power failures. We used to lose power at least once a week and it would be off for anywhere from 30 minutes to 5 or 6 hours.

I had a power inverter that I plugged into my car's cigarette lighter socket, and I plugged an extension cord into the power inverter. The extension cord went into the house and ran a large air pump that ran the filters and kept the water well oxygenated.

I had about 10 tanks at the time so it was something I had to have.

If you only have one fish tank with a couple of cheap fish in, and you don't lose power very often, don't worry about the generator. However, if you have a lot of fish, or some expensive or rare fish, and you have power failures that last more than one hour, then get something to keep the water aerated during the power black outs.

You can buy battery operated air pumps to use in an emergency. Some run on AA batteries, others use C or D size batteries. Some can be run off a car's cigarette lighter socket and D size batteries.

I used my car as a backup generator when I lived in an area where we had lots of power failures. We used to lose power at least once a week and it would be off for anywhere from 30 minutes to 5 or 6 hours.

I had a power inverter that I plugged into my car's cigarette lighter socket, and I plugged an extension cord into the power inverter. The extension cord went into the house and ran a large air pump that ran the filters and kept the water well oxygenated.

I had about 10 tanks at the time so it was something I had to have.

If you only have one fish tank with a couple of cheap fish in, and you don't lose power very often, don't worry about the generator. However, if you have a lot of fish, or some expensive or rare fish, and you have power failures that last more than one hour, then get something to keep the water aerated during the power black outs.

You can buy battery operated air pumps to use in an emergency. Some run on AA batteries, others use C or D size batteries. Some can be run off a car's cigarette lighter socket and D size batteries.
Hello Colin_T, thanks for the comments ! Great idea you gave me !
Maybe could work if i do buy a car battery alone, and then to connecting it to an adaptator ( as is a car's cigarette lighter socket or another type of adaptator well suited to this kind of battery ), and that the whole of this task for to make these connections will be made by an expert car-electrician for my own needs. Thanks !

You don't need an electrician or mechanic to make up the battery and connectors. You can buy adapters & connectors from auto stores (shops that sell car parts) and just put the positive connector on the positive battery terminal, and negative on the negative terminal. Then plug the power inverter into that.

You don't need an electrician or mechanic to make up the battery and connectors. You can buy adapters & connectors from auto stores (shops that sell car parts) and just put the positive connector on the positive battery terminal, and negative on the negative terminal. Then plug the power inverter into that.
Hello Colin_T, thanks for clarify this !
Possibly ( as an alternative besides of the car batteries ) also could be used the deep cycle batteries which are used in the electric wheelchairs, that can be recharged with a charger of 120 volts/12 volts-output/6 ampere. Thanks !

Most reactions

trending

Back