When can I tell the gender of my BNP?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Eardz

Reaction score
Hi all,

Just wondering at what point I would be able to gender my Bristle nose? It doesn’t matter to me either way, however I know he/she was born in the beginning of November 2021.

(This is my favourite fish I own)

Thanks 😊

Attachments

• 96036769-6766-4814-BC9A-F1633ABF3835.jpeg
    96036769-6766-4814-BC9A-F1633ABF3835.jpeg
    244.7 KB · Views: 55
  • FBAA3028-3301-448C-BFB0-159B1835CF85.jpeg
    FBAA3028-3301-448C-BFB0-159B1835CF85.jpeg
    253.9 KB · Views: 56
It could be many months before the bristles grow in, if they do at all..many bristles = male, few/no bristles = female

From the body shape, I'm guessing male, but it appears to be a young fish, much more growing to do

It could be many months before the bristles grow in, if they do at all..many bristles = male, few/no bristles = female

From the body shape, I'm guessing male, but it appears to be a young fish, much more growing to do
Yeah, I must say he/she is still quite small. I wonder if maybe it’s younger than I was told.

Agree with this. When I got my BNP (he was maybe 1 inch at the time) I had no clue what it’s gender was until after about 8 months of me owning it. Then his bristles started going in.

Just based off of the pictures, it seems to be a younger Pleco and is therefore impossible to accurately sex.

Agree with this. When I got my BNP (he was maybe 1 inch at the time) I had no clue what it’s gender was until after about 8 months of me owning it. Then his bristles started going in.

Just based off of the pictures, it seems to be a younger Pleco and is therefore impossible to accurately sex.
Awe brilliant, thanks. He/she is my first Bristlenose and after seeing some adults in my LFS, he/she certainly seems quite small. I’d suggest I’ve seen some four times the size.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back