When can I put Amano Shrimp in my tank?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Christoffer

Reaction score
Hi, it's been 4 day since I put 5 Panda Corys from my quarantine tank and in to my display tank, and i want some Amano Shrimp to eat some of my green hair alge. How long should I wait to I put Amano Shrimp in the display tank, add how many can I put in?

Display tank : 350 liters
- Is cycled

Filtration:
1 - EX 1200 Plus 3,5 Kg biohome ultimate
1 - EX 1200 Plus 3,5 Kg biohome ultimate

- Fish :
- 3 Guppyes
- 1 Catfish Dwarf suckers
- 5 Panda Corys

Water:
Kh : 20
GH : 20
Ph 8
Ammonia : 0
Nitrit : 0
Nitrat : 14

Temperature:
24 C
IMG_20200302_123532.jpg

That's a great nice big tank. I would love to have one like that. Guppies require hard water and the other fish require soft, what is your gh? You can probably find it on your water providers website and if not call them. Depending on if you have soft water vs hard we can give you good stocking suggestions. If you have soft water I would recommend to rehome your guppies and I'd increase your cories to 12-15 as they do best in larger groups and you have the room. You could probably have a large amount of amano shrimp. (Just a tip, quarantine your fish for at least 14 days, diseases will not all show up in only 5) and there are so many other fish you could add.

If hard water you could go for different types of livebearers or cichlids

Thank you I'm also very happy about it :)
My tap water use GH : 20 very hard.
Ok I will add some more cories. And quarantine them
thanks for the answer

What is the unit of measurement for the GH? Fish keeping levels are different than other levels regarding hardness :)

Hi I just got black and red crystals on Saturday. I bought them from a local breeder. Was considering going to big al pet store to get 3 but saw this breeder on kijiji. 10 (he gave me 1 extra so actually 11) for $25.00. I wasn't planning on getting that many at the time only had a 5 gallon set up. research told me they prefer Rio water. Big Al said to use half rio and half tap with chlorine removal of course. Anyways why I'm telling you this is I slowly added some of the water from the 5 gallon to there original water slowly over a hour. Because I bought locally the water be same as mine. If I bought them from big Al's I would have use the drip hose to acculmate them because they are imports from other countries. So depending on if you bought locally or pet store I'd go by that. I'm planning on getting my 10 gallon tank out of storage and setting it up for them but right now they doing fine in 5 gallon with 2 filters that they cant get crawl into. 1 even shed its skin already I believe..... and others look like they might too because they doing that arching thing. Now my question for you. Do you plan on starting a colony? Do you have tons of hiding areas? Live plants? They really love moss that's where mine are on right now. Are you using rio water? If not maybe you should do noecardina l
15832717016096180136300465756880.jpg
ike bloody Mary which I have in my 29 gallon with guppies.

Sorry I think I did a brain freeze thought you said cardina shrimp. Anyways I'd go by if they are from local breeder or store bought....if you bought locally it be easier to acculmate them.

Amano shrimp in my experience are the best algae eating shrimp. They do well in groups as they are fairly social. They get a little bigger than alot of shrimp as well so do a better job avoiding being food to bigger fish. Only downside is theyre more difficult to breed than say cherry shrimp.
If you have zero ammonia zero nitrites they should be good to go. Just acclimate them like any other fish.As for hair algae theyll eat it and better question is why do you have hair algae. Hair algae is usually due to excess nitrates and or phosphates with also too much light. How long are your lights on? phosphates are due to excess organics like uneaten food and decaying plant matter which can be easily solved through regular water changes and decreased feeding. Good luck though Amanos do a good job as a clean up crew, id also recommend nerite snails as well as theyll eat all sorts of algae as well and wont reproduce in your tank

Last edited:
Amano shrimp in my experience are the best algae eating shrimp. They do well in groups as they are fairly social. They get a little bigger than alot of shrimp as well so do a better job avoiding being food to bigger fish. Only downside is theyre more difficult to breed than say cherry shrimp.
If you have zero ammonia zero nitrites they should be good to go. Just acclimate them like any other fish.As for hair algae theyll eat it and better question is why do you have hair algae. Hair algae is usually due to excess nitrates and or phosphates with also too much light. How long are your lights on? 20 phosphates are due to excess organics like uneaten food and decaying plant matter which can be easily solved through regular water changes and decreased feeding. Good luck though Amanos do a good job as a clean up crew, id also recommend nerite snails as well as theyll eat all sorts of algae as well and wont reproduce in your tank

I think its my lights is too bright because I only have it on 5 hours a day, and I tried to take off the fertilizer it did not help, so I'm planning to buy some floating plants like the EGERIA DENSA, so it takes off some of the light.
I'm trying to get some nerite snails, just worry about them making eggs all over my rocks do you guys, have any off you guys experience with that how to deal with it?

I think its my lights is too bright because I only have it on 5 hours a day, and I tried to take off the fertilizer it did not help, so I'm planning to buy some floating plants like the EGERIA DENSA, so it takes off some of the light.
I'm trying to get some nerite snails, just worry about them making eggs all over my rocks do you guys, have any off you guys experience with that how to deal with it?
Its funny cuz ive had nerites that go nut and lay eggs every where and had other nerites that dont lay anything. I had 3 olive nerites in a tank once and zero eggs.
If your worried about the eggs just stick with the amanos they eat alot of algae. Also if you only have lights on 5 hours then the light most likely isnt the culprit.
More likely excess phosphates but yeah adding floating plants will help

That's a great nice big tank. I would love to have one like that. Guppies require hard water and the other fish require soft, what is your gh? You can probably find it on your water providers website and if not call them. Depending on if you have soft water vs hard we can give you good stocking suggestions. If you have soft water I would recommend to rehome your guppies and I'd increase your cories to 12-15 as they do best in larger groups and you have the room. You could probably have a large amount of amano shrimp. (Just a tip, quarantine your fish for at least 14 days, diseases will not all show up in only 5) and there are so many other fish you could add.

If hard water you could go for different types of livebearers or cichlids

Okay i will quarantine my fish, but Is Amano shrimp also needeed to be quarantine, like fish ? :)

Its funny cuz ive had nerites that go nut and lay eggs every where and had other nerites that dont lay anything. I had 3 olive nerites in a tank once and zero eggs.
If your worried about the eggs just stick with the amanos they eat alot of algae. Also if you only have lights on 5 hours then the light most likely isnt the culprit.
More likely excess phosphates but yeah adding floating plants will help
Okay i will not geet nerites then thanks for the answer :)

Okay i will quarantine my fish, but Is Amano shrimp also needeed to be quarantine, like fish ? :)
They dont get the same disease that fish do but they can carry them so yes

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back