When Can I Decide On Sex Of Baby Mollies

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Jofish

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
I have between 11 and 9 baby mollies (I just cannot count them 11 went into tank) they are now 4 weeks old. My neighbour will have a couple, but he doesn't want a pair. I need to take remainder to LFS, before the next batch arrive. Any day now ! I have read it could take three months before I can sex them is that so?

Yes, well I would say 4 months to be certain...

Well, it can vary a little, mine are fed 5 or 6 times a day with a varied diet so it was slightly quicker. I don't really think you want to give tiny fry to the LFS anyway, as they need growing on a bit. (and unwise to give away fish that are so small they can still be sucked into the filtration system) My birth rate slowed after the first 3 batches as one of the females died and the other turned into a male only shortly after giving birth.

Im pretty sure platys can hold male sperm for 4months right? So even if he got a female it may still reroduce frequently. 

It really depends on the fish and the conditions they are kept in. Mine usually take a little longer than two months to be able to sex. But it really just depends on conditions.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back