When a fish is poorly and won’t get better

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

mezrie

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Good afternoon,
I currently have a tetra that is poorly, can’t swim too well now as he appears to have a bit of a curve in his spine. Breathing gets very rapid when stressed and trying to swim in the open tank.
I have isolated him in a small see through box that sticks on to the side of the tank, I have put a few plants in here too so he feels safer. His breathing is better and he seems calmer in it but I don’t know if I’m doing him any favours or just prolonging his fate.
What do you do when you have a poorly fish?

Thank you,
Mez

Test your water for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH and GH.

Post clear pictures and video of the fish and a picture of the tank.

How long have you had the fish for?
What other fish are in the tank?
What have you tried to treat the fish with?
How long has the tank been set up for?
How often and how do you clean the filter?
How often do you do water changes and how much do you change?
Do you gravel clean the substrate when you do a water change?

Test your water for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH and GH. All fine and stable.

Post clear pictures and video of the fish and a picture of the tank. Its a planted aqua oak 100 litres.

How long have you had the fish for? 9 months
What other fish are in the tank? Dwarf rainbow fish, five barred barbs, red tail rasboras, golden barbs, bamboo shrimp, corys.
What have you tried to treat the fish with? Esha
How long has the tank been set up for? 13 months
How often and how do you clean the filter? Once a month
How often do you do water changes and how much do you change? 10% every week
Do you gravel clean the substrate when you do a water change? Yes

Thank you for your post, please see responses in bold. I’ve been fishkeeping for quite a few years now, I just wondered what other people do when they have a fish that is poorly and not getting better.
Thanks,
M

For me it varies. If/when I have a fish that's been fine but suddenly begins failing, sometimes I let nature take it's course. Other times I euthanize using oil of cloves in a deli cup. I will say that fortunately, this is very rare. In the larger schools (colony breeding) I rarely see an ailing fish, but here and there, once in a blue moon, I'll discover and remove a body. It just happens sometimes for unknown reasons.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back