What's your favorite filter media

lnsaneM

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I've been in the fishkeeping hobby for a while now and am running two tanks at the moment, 150 gallon and 70 gallon (150 with sump and 70 with 2 canister filters). I usually just run mechanical and biological filtration. unless I'm using chemical to remove the tannins from a newer piece of driftwood. In my larger aquarium with the sump filtration, I'm running a lot of bio-bricks along with some bio-balls and bio-rings with drip filtration for mechanical. And in my 70 I'm running a booster canister filter with all mechanical filtration with the main canister filled with mostly bio-balls with some bio-rings and plastic balls. I have been doing good with both tanks as far as filtration and having water parameters stable.

So my question is are there one type of media that is superior to another (cheap vs expensive)? I've never really tried the top of the line stuff like Eheim Substrat Pro, or Seachem Matrix etc. I've had success with the stuff that's at a reasonable price, and the bio-balls I've got looks just like Eheim Substrat Pro.

So what is your favorite bio-media?

I really love the fluval ceramic rings. Along with the Aqua Clear sponges. They work together really good too :)

I do have sponge in both of my tanks, but not a whole lot. They are good, but for me they are a little underrated, I think will get some more in my filters during my next cleaning cycle

We had a local fish store that sold DIY stuff, and I use a lot of tangled plastic fibres, recycled ones. They can be hard to find, but soap free scrubber pads from the dollar store work very well. In a HOB, I would fill the bottom with scrubbers or recycled filter mat, and put a sponge on top.

I think my favourite now is the foam/sponge pad especially the higher density foam - 30ppi which gives the biggest surface area.
But you have to clean it more often as it can clog more easily than other filter media like Eheim, Seachem, Biohome or ceramic rings.

I find this article interesting though I cannot verified how reliable are the research.

Attachments

• IMG_20220923_105637.jpg
    IMG_20220923_105637.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:
Wow, I just read through all that. If what they're saying is true, then I'd have to really give the foam/sponge a try when I replace my filter media. I always thought the foam/sponge was for mechanical filtration only, and I've always liked to combine the coarse to fine for mechanical filtration. I guess I was doing it wrong

At least according to this chart the bio-balls are the next best filter media which I have in my canister. And for my other tank, I can fit so much bio-bricks in the sump I don't think it would be a problem

Bio-balls are a waste of money. They don't trap or hold gunk and are only useful for hold bacteria. They are also hideously overpriced for plastic spikey balls.

Bio-balls are a waste of money. They don't trap or hold gunk and are only useful for hold bacteria. They are also hideously overpriced for plastic spikey balls.
I think you're right, but the ones I got looks exactly like the Eheim Substrat Pro bio-balls (got them at a pretty nice price point), I'm giving it a try for about a year or two until I switch them to something else, maybe to 80% 30ppi sponge.

My filters are motorised sponges with a can attached :lol:

Seriously...I have the Aquael Turbo filters. Seriously simple, they have a multitude of different ways to fit them together and use them....including attaching the large sponge that comes in the box to the powerhead on its own or with the media can (also supplied in the box) tween it and the powerhead.

I use Superfish mats as media, cut into tiny pieces and put into the can (similar to the moving bed concept). There are several types of mat available - ammonia, phosphate, nitrate, carbon etc. Much cheaper to buy than the manufacturer's media....although the Turbo only comes with a bag of ceramic noodles, Aquael actually let the fishkeeper to make their own choice of media, which is sort of unique in the filter world.

I did a thread explaining what I use etc....with piccies...since the written word can confuzzle at times

My filters are motorised sponges with a can attached :lol:

Seriously...I have the Aquael Turbo filters. Seriously simple, they have a multitude of different ways to fit them together and use them....including attaching the large sponge that comes in the box to the powerhead on its own or with the media can (also supplied in the box) tween it and the powerhead.

I use Superfish mats as media, cut into tiny pieces and put into the can (similar to the moving bed concept). There are several types of mat available - ammonia, phosphate, nitrate, carbon etc. Much cheaper to buy than the manufacturer's media....although the Turbo only comes with a bag of ceramic noodles, Aquael actually let the fishkeeper to make their own choice of media, which is sort of unique in the filter world.

I did a thread explaining what I use etc....with piccies...since the written word can confuzzle at times

That's a good idea if I decide to add more filter to my tank, but as of now I like to add as much water to my tank as possible so I'm running 2 Sunsun filters side by side in my 75 gallon. One as a booster filter for the nasty mechanical filtration and the other one filled with bio-media of all sorts.

I totally agree with @Colin_T Sponge filters. When I've used power filters or inside box filters all I ever used is plain old polyester filter floss and carbon . You rinse that stuff and do your water changes and things always work out if you don't have too many fish or big fish that crap like German Shepherds.
I'm a big believer in the KISS method. Keep It Simple Stupid.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back