What's wrong with my Tetra fish?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Terra Firma

Reaction score
Hello, I have 3 Tetra with lumps on there mouth and have finrot. One of the tetras is in a bad way from when the tank was cycling. The tank has been cycled for several months. I like to treat and save these fish. If you can recommend some medication. I live in the UK so antibiotics are not available to me. I can't catch the fish either.

Ammonia 0ppm
Nitrite 0ppm
Nitrate 5ppm
PH 7.2

I've posted photos and video to show you the sick tetra.

The fish on the left.
IMG_20200220_124837.jpg

Middle fish
IMG_20200220_124828.jpg

IMG_20200220_124844.jpg

Last edited:
Was it developing over time or was it there at time of purchase? Could be a genetic thing or a bacterial infection depending for the lump the finrot I'd do a water change and medicat

I've done regular 50% water changes and a 90% water change once a month. I've had the tetras fish for a year from the beginning of the cycle. I first noticed the mouth growths in the last 3 months.

Does the white stuff on the fins look fluffy or lumpy?
If it's fluffy it's fungus. You can treat fungus by adding 2 heaped tablespoon of salt for every 20 litres of tank water and keep it there for 2 weeks.

If it's lumpy then it's probably Lymphocystis (a stress virus). There's no cure for Lymphocystis, but if you keep the fish in good conditions it usually goes away by itself.

------------------
Not sure about the white mouth. Better pictures might help. Salt might help or a broad spectrum fish medication that treat bacteria, fungus and protozoan infections.

I doubt it's protozoan or bacterial due to the slow growth rate, but most broad spectrum medications will wipe out most things affecting fish.

I not really sure if it fungusy or not.

I've added some aquarium salt, 1 tablespoon per 5 gallon.

I'm now medicating the whole tank with Waterlife Myxazin for 5 days. It treats finrot, ulcers and bacterial infections. It contains malachite green and acriflavine.

Was it developing over time or was it there at time of purchase? Could be a genetic thing or a bacterial infection depending for the lump the finrot I'd do a water change and medicate

I now think it possibly neon tetra disease and the disease could of been there when I bought them that came from another source to my other fish which have been ok.

I am sorry you lost one but happy the rest may be getting better. I have a shoal of neon tetras. I was going to buy a couple more since I lost a couple but saw the same thing (mouth ulcer) on at least 1 neon in the tank at LFS so didn't buy them. I like to maintain 12-15 neon tetras.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back