Whats wrong with my heater

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Goosegrl2019

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
My heater is about 2 months old & is looking strange at the bottom. I'm uploading a pic. Does anyone know what this is about & if I need a new one already?? Ughhh

Attachments

• 15770374589352791748767201196398.jpg
    15770374589352791748767201196398.jpg
    210 KB · Views: 111
Do you mean the white crusty stuff at the bottom? Its probably just limescale and will wipe off.

I tried getting it w a toothbrush & it was still there. There is a bubbling at that spot where the white is inside the heater. It looks warped sort of. I just noticed it today during a water change. I read that heaters can malfunction so just making sure. This is a 55 gallon tank w heater that came w top fin set up. It's set at 80°

Attachments

• 15770390720177887036121636874381.jpg
    15770390720177887036121636874381.jpg
    186.3 KB · Views: 93
I'm not familiar with that brand. But most heaters are just a tube and my guess is the rubber (?) bit on the end is just stuck on for protection of the glass. I wouldn't worry about it but...

I do recommend that you have a thermometer in the tank and check it daily (I do this anyway). I also recommend that you have a spare (tested) heater for just in case. Heaters typically stop working in 1 of 2 ways
  1. They don't heat up. Probably not a massive deal if you spot it early as you can get another one before the tank has cooled too much
  2. They don't turn themselves off when they get to the correct temp. This is a really big deal if you don't notice because it will turn your tank into fish soup.
I have digital thermometers independent of the heaters mounted where I can see them when I am anywhere near the tank. So it really is no effort to check everytime I'm in the room.

I'm not familiar with that brand. But most heaters are just a tube and my guess is the rubber (?) bit on the end is just stuck on for protection of the glass. I wouldn't worry about it but...

I do recommend that you have a thermometer in the tank and check it daily (I do this anyway). I also recommend that you have a spare (tested) heater for just in case. Heaters typically stop working in 1 of 2 ways
  1. They don't heat up. Probably not a massive deal if you spot it early as you can get another one before the tank has cooled too much
  2. They don't turn themselves off when they get to the correct temp. This is a really big deal if you don't notice because it will turn your tank into fish soup.
I have digital thermometers independent of the heaters mounted where I can see them when I am anywhere near the tank. So it really is no effort to check everytime I'm in the room.
Great advice, thank u :)

I also have a independent thermometer set up at the other end of my aquariums and a back up heater just in case-it gets cold here in the winter.

Do you mean the white crusty stuff at the bottom? Its probably just limescale and will wipe off.

If it is limescale take it out and use some white vinegar to clean it. Works best if you can let it soak for a few minutes. Don't forget to rinse it well before putting back into your tank

Digital thermometers are cheap on EBay. I get them in packages of 6 and they work quite a while.

Digital thermometers are cheap on EBay. I get them in packages of 6 and they work quite a while.
I currently have a non digital thermometer lol it's a stick to the side standard kind. I'm goin to the Lfs tomorrow to get a heater & i will get those, thanks!!

Hey everybody I bought a Marineland submersible heater (200 watt) for my 55 gallon tank the other day & I have been reading really bad reviews on this product. Has anyone had experience with this?? I really hate to think I may have paid $35 for a bunk heater. Are some brands better than others?? Also, it seems to b working fine.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back