What’s wrong with my GBR?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

7B2471B5-2565-4AA1-880C-20E07A407BF4.jpeg
She’s got something white on her head now? What is it??

I don't guess when it comes to disease issues, so someone like @Colin can better advise on this.

As for other fish with the angelfish and (depending) rams...this is rather limited because of the high temperature. But cardinal tetras (not neons here), green (or "false" neons, and rummynose tetras are all suited both for temperature and peaceful nature. Rummynose are more active swimmers than the other two mentioned, but this is not an "activity" like the danios.

I don't guess when it comes to disease issues, so someone like @Colin can better advise on this.

As for other fish with the angelfish and (depending) rams...this is rather limited because of the high temperature. But cardinal tetras (not neons here), green (or "false" neons, and rummynose tetras are all suited both for temperature and peaceful nature. Rummynose are more active swimmers than the other two mentioned, but this is not an "activity" like the danios.
Think you was right unfortunately, the male is now continuously chasing her around the tank whenever he sees her, she has red marks on her side, probably from the nipping

Think you was right unfortunately, the male is now continuously chasing her around the tank whenever he sees her, she has red marks on her side, probably from the nipping

Separation is all you can do. Aggression which is normal to the species is not going to change/get better; it usually worsens as the male becomes more annoyed that she is in "his" space and refuses to vacate it.

Separation is all you can do. Aggression which is normal to the species is not going to change/get better; it usually worsens as the male becomes more annoyed that she is in "his" space and refuses to vacate it.
Thanks, That’s unfortunate though, really wanted a bonded pair in my tank though, am I best off getting a few females and putting them in and see who he chooses? Will I have to remove the other females or will they simply pick different territories?

Thanks, That’s unfortunate though, really wanted a bonded pair in my tank though, am I best off getting a few females and putting them in and see who he chooses? Will I have to remove the other females or will they simply pick different territories?

The only way to acquire a bonded pair is to allow a group of the species to naturally form pairs on their own. You can achieve this by acquiring say 10 rams, and wait for an obvious pair to form. This means buying ten fish and then having to do something with the eight. A mix of males/females is best, as a lone male may not find a partner. I prefer observation of the group of fish in the store tank. If you remain motionless in front of the tank for some time, you will usually be able to see the "pairs." The males will all be "charging" each other, usually with no physical interaction because of the number and small tank space (in nature this would be more aggressive). Females that are close to a male and are being ignored will usually be accepted mates.

What temp is the tank - also you can't keep danio with rams as danio prefer cooler water - gbr prefer 82 which most pleco and angelfish can handle.

As a general rule females will be very aggressive towards each other.

I would agree with @Byron here - it seems to be aggression & stress.

As it was mentioned earlier, heavy breathing can also be associated with Gill Flukes. Rams are commercially bred overseas, doped up with chemicals and then shipped --> many that arrive to your local LFS are sick. Purchasing from a trusted breeder is highly recommended with this species.

I'm having the same issue at the moment but seems as though the male is also hiding in a corner a lot. They both spent a day or 2 together on top of the filter. Now they have separated I thought maybe they had bonded and were getting ready to lay eggs on the top of the filter. I will make my own post when I've gathered more info
20220430_132218.jpg

My female GBR had a white thing on her head as your ram, @LewisH93. She was hiding and lethargic. I quarantined her and treated with sera bactopur. In 2 days, she was back to normal. It's been 3 months since that happened, and she's doing great. I dont know if this will work for your ram, I'm just sharing my experience with that disease.

Most reactions

trending

Back