What's wrong with my fish and what should I do?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

SwanseaGuppies

Reaction score
I have an 85l tank with approx. 9 guppies, 8 platies and a handful of tetras. I bought a platy last Sunday and as soon as it got into my tank, it went down to the bottom. I thought it was just heading to the plants for cover in an unfamiliar environment, but over the next few days, I noticed that he hadn't really moved from the bottom and he seemed really sick. That morning, one of my other platies dropped dead and I'd not noticed any illness preceding that. I told the shop and they asked me to bring in the sick fish and they exchanged him for a well one from a different tank. When I got home, I noticed some of the fish rubbing against the wood in the tank, and I found out they had Ich. I've started to treat the tank for parasites (treatment should be finished on Monday), but now I have noticed the new platy (the one I got in the exchange) has some fin rot. I imagine she came with the damage to her fin, because it couldn't happen within 24 hrs? Also, it doesn't seem to have progressed?

Anyway, I'm concerned about my other fish. I have noticed a guppy and another two platies are now looking unwell. They spend a lot of time hiding amongst the plants at the bottom of the tank and they don't seem to eat. I can't see any parasites or fin rot on these fish, but I may be missing it. I don't think there's been any problems with fin nipping, but I'm keeping my eye on things. All the other fish seem very well, although quite a few others (especially the platies) have got some Ich. Since medicating the tank, the rubbing against the wood has subsided significantly (I only saw one doing it today), but I can still see the tiny salt-like white spots on their fins.

I check the water regularly and it has been very good. I also took a water sample to the shop to test and they said it was pretty perfect. I also change 20% of the water weekly and I add tap safe. I usually have a carbon filter and ceramic filter media, but I took the carbon filter out before medicating the tank. All my fish have come from the same supplier (Maidenhead Aquatics) and I have felt in the past they were very reliable and knowledgable. I suspect one sick fish slipped through the net and had created a problem in the tank. Another possibility: I have an electrical fault in my house (hopefully now fixed) and the electricity tripped in the night at some point the night the platy died and for two nights after. This would have shut off the filter and the heater for a few hours, so I don't know if that may have caused some stress which either made them more susceptible to illness, or which has caused some of the more delicate fish to struggle?

But, what should I be doing now? If the fish came with fin rot, could my tank help them recover, as long as I continue with regular water changes? Should I medicate for fin rot yet? Can I do that at the same time as the parasite treatment? Also, how soon after medicating the tank can I do a water change?

Thank you for your help and advice.

I bought some shrimp for the MH in swansea once - they actually asked me what other fish I had to make sure they were not expensive snack.

I am the opposite of expert with disease - but to me it sounds like the stress of being moved into perhaps different water, the power cut maybe cooling them down uncomfortabley, caused a ich outbreak.

I expect those in the know would just just suggest increase the temperature and do plenty water changing and gravel vaccing to dilute the organism.

I bought some shrimp for the MH in swansea once - they actually asked me what other fish I had to make sure they were not expensive snack.
I thought they were really good. When I was first setting up the tank, they were really helpful at guiding my choices of fish. They've also rehomed some fry for me and they do seem to care. There's some other shops where the fish are obviously not in the best health and they'd rather just sell a fish, than sell someone the right fish, but I don't think MH in Swansea is like that.

Thanks for your tips too. :)

I have an 85l tank with approx. 9 guppies, 8 platies and a handful of tetras. I bought a platy last Sunday and as soon as it got into my tank, it went down to the bottom. I thought it was just heading to the plants for cover in an unfamiliar environment, but over the next few days, I noticed that he hadn't really moved from the bottom and he seemed really sick. That morning, one of my other platies dropped dead and I'd not noticed any illness preceding that. I told the shop and they asked me to bring in the sick fish and they exchanged him for a well one from a different tank. When I got home, I noticed some of the fish rubbing against the wood in the tank, and I found out they had Ich. I've started to treat the tank for parasites (treatment should be finished on Monday), but now I have noticed the new platy (the one I got in the exchange) has some fin rot. I imagine she came with the damage to her fin, because it couldn't happen within 24 hrs? Also, it doesn't seem to have progressed?

Anyway, I'm concerned about my other fish. I have noticed a guppy and another two platies are now looking unwell. They spend a lot of time hiding amongst the plants at the bottom of the tank and they don't seem to eat. I can't see any parasites or fin rot on these fish, but I may be missing it. I don't think there's been any problems with fin nipping, but I'm keeping my eye on things. All the other fish seem very well, although quite a few others (especially the platies) have got some Ich. Since medicating the tank, the rubbing against the wood has subsided significantly (I only saw one doing it today), but I can still see the tiny salt-like white spots on their fins.

I check the water regularly and it has been very good. I also took a water sample to the shop to test and they said it was pretty perfect. I also change 20% of the water weekly and I add tap safe. I usually have a carbon filter and ceramic filter media, but I took the carbon filter out before medicating the tank. All my fish have come from the same supplier (Maidenhead Aquatics) and I have felt in the past they were very reliable and knowledgable. I suspect one sick fish slipped through the net and had created a problem in the tank. Another possibility: I have an electrical fault in my house (hopefully now fixed) and the electricity tripped in the night at some point the night the platy died and for two nights after. This would have shut off the filter and the heater for a few hours, so I don't know if that may have caused some stress which either made them more susceptible to illness, or which has caused some of the more delicate fish to struggle?

But, what should I be doing now? If the fish came with fin rot, could my tank help them recover, as long as I continue with regular water changes? Should I medicate for fin rot yet? Can I do that at the same time as the parasite treatment? Also, how soon after medicating the tank can I do a water change?

Thank you for your help and advice.
So what stage are you at with the ich treatment?
(Good move on removing the carbon, btw).

Aquarium salt is a cure-all I have a lot of faith in and I kept a small maintenance dose in my own tanks. This helps the fish balance their electrolytes and facilitates their immune systems and healing.
Think of 1tbsp per 5 gallon...dissolve the salt in warm aquarium water, before adding it to the tank. This is just a low dose and will help repair/manage fin rot.
(A 'treatment' dose would be 1 tbsp per 3 gallon).

Aquarium salt is a cure-all I have a lot of faith in and I kept a small maintenance dose in my own tanks. This helps the fish balance their electrolytes and facilitates their immune systems and healing.
Think of 1tbsp per 5 gallon...dissolve the salt in warm aquarium water, before adding it to the tank. This is just a low dose and will help repair/manage fin rot.
may I just add if you cant get aquarium salts tonic salts are useful here although I'm not entirely sure what the dosage difference is off the top of my head(forgive me its late)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    305.2 KB · Views: 57

So I gave the first dose of ich treatment yesterday morning, and according to the instructions, the second and last dose should be on Monday. Then I think I'm supposed to wait 7 days before giving any other treatment.

I hadn't thought of aquarium salt, but that sounds like it could really help. I will see if I can get some tomorrow.

may I just add if you cant get aquarium salts tonic salts are useful here although I'm not entirely sure what the dosage difference is off the top of my head(forgive me its late)
Thank you. That's good to know. I have three aquatics suppliers near me, so I'm sure one of them will have something (and be open on a Sunday). :)

Wait out the 7 days as mentioned

Tonic Salt helps stabilise pH water conditions and reduce the toxicity of nitrite. Tonic Salt is one of the the fishkeepers most versatile water treatments. It can be used in 3 main ways: General aquarium tonic and mild pH buffer. Maintaining a concentration of 0.1% constantly will help your fishes' immune system fight disease.-Google

1. Support when treating disease. When treating some diseases (eg. ulcers and dropsy) with medications it is advisable to support the treatment with Tonic Salt at 0.9% for the treatment duration. Add gradually over 3 to 4 days. This level should be maintained for a maximum of 2 weeks otherwise damage to plants can occur. Add 9g per litre for a 0.9% concentration.

Last edited:

Tonic Salt helps stabilise pH water conditions and reduce the toxicity of nitrite. Tonic Salt is one of the the fishkeepers most versatile water treatments. It can be used in 3 main ways: General aquarium tonic and mild pH buffer. Maintaining a concentration of 0.1% constantly will help your fishes' immune system fight disease.-Google

1. Support when treating disease. When treating some diseases (eg. ulcers and dropsy) with medications it is advisable to support the treatment with Tonic Salt at 0.9% for the treatment duration. Add gradually over 3 to 4 days. This level should be maintained for a maximum of 2 weeks otherwise damage to plants can occur. Add 9g per litre for a 0.9% concentration.
Thank you for the tips. I was wondering if it might kill of my plants, but that's really helpful to know. Thanks

Update:
Today I noticed a clear stringy substance coming from the the anus of one of the seemingly healthy platies. She then passed a small white solid (3-4mm in length) and more stringy substance. Not sure what this is. I will add in the aquarium salts tomorrow and give the next/last dose of ich treatment. I'll keep my eye on them after adding the salts and see if any of them improve, if not, I'll have to think about treating them for something else.

Update 2:
Two more platies have died today. One more platy seems sick (although is still eating) and one guppy seems sick
Last dose of ich treatment given today and aquarium salts added.
Any suggestions on what to try next?

So I added some aquarium salts, but I spoke to the aquarium shop and they said that it is toxic with the ich medication and I needed to do a water change asap. I have done a 60% water change (is that enough?). But now I'm not sure if I they're correct - surely it would be mentioned on the label if it was dangerous? and I can't find anything about it online. Now I have no idea what to do. There will be some residual salt in the tank, because I can't change all the water at once. But I need to treat them for ich. Can I give them an extra half dose of ich treatment as they've had half of it removed in the water change? No idea what I should be doing now.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back