What's wrong with my angel?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Double Down

Reaction score
Just had an angel die a couple days ago and I thought it was due to fighting because his lips were all huge and locked up and white. So now there are only a male and a female left in the tank. Well, the male who was fighting with the other male now is doing the same thing the other one did before it died. Swimming at the top and his bottom lip is all white and puffy. See picture. What is this and what do I need to do?

Thanks,

Chris

Attachments

• Angel_lips.JPG
    Angel_lips.JPG
    58.2 KB · Views: 26
This looks like mouth rot to me...You need to get some meds for mouth rot asap. What r are the water readings??Like ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. Angels like low ph also.. .

But is mouth rot why he is only staying at the top of the water? Kinda like he's looking for food all the time, even though he's not?

When a fish gets sick they either go to the top of the tank or stay at the bottom one. And my angels go nose up if thier ph gets any higher than 7.0 and that is the truth..What are your water readings like ammonia and nitrites nitrates and ph.. I can send you some articles on the ph and angels if you would like heresmike.

I am currently breeding 5 pairs in city tap with a ph of 7.6-7.8 and they do fine, as do my discus, ph is not as relevant as changes in ph. Your fish have a fungus, no doubt. Do a 50% water change, bump the temp about 2 degrees, and treat with maroxy, meth blue, or some other fungal (not jungle labs) and follow the instructions. Do it quick and your fish should be ok.

Will those fungus medications affect any of my other fish in the tank?

well I just know what works for mine which is a low ph and mine do just fine in it. I sure think that is mouth rot on your angel and it needs to be in some med. Quick.

So do I need to remove the angel from the tank or can I put the medication in the tank with all the fish? Will the medication affect the other fish?

A lot of the meds will mess up your cycle on your tank.If I were you I would get him out and treat him. If they are no other signs of illness with your other fish then I wouldnt treat them.. I hope your angel gets well soon..If you live in the USA then you can buy the maracyn. I think that is the best way to go. And if it is a fungus I wouldnt raise the temp. Fungus hates salt you could add some salt also..

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back