What's Wrong With It?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

BelldandyShanny

Fishaholic
Reaction score
My fiance recently added some scissortail rasboras to our tank, I wasn't too interested in them but we got them anyway, and despite my pleading to not get the gimpy one, again he got it anyway.  So my question is...what's wrong with it? is it just a physical defect or is it diseased or something? Because if it is I would like to removed asap.

Attachments

• 20130911_225617.jpg
    20130911_225617.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 133
  • 20130911_225621.jpg
    20130911_225621.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 138
  • 20130911_225719.jpg
    20130911_225719.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 135
bent spine is a genetic deformaty often time found in, but not limited too animals that are inbred to the max.

I have a cherry barb with the same deformity. She feeds fine, interacts with the group just fine. No reason to remove yours from the tank, IMHO.

I have a black neon like it too, again, it feeds perfectly fine.

I think its growth has been stunted. I have seen various stunted fish. Just like those. Well no helping him now. Best thing to do to be able to stop his suffering is to euthanize him.

as long as it's not a result of being sick, I'll let it be.  It's name is Banjo because when I told my fiance it was like that due to massive inbreeding, and that he was a hillbilly fish, he's all his name is banjo!

Well it is a result of keeping it in a tiny tank relevant to its size. It is actually an incurable disease.

DerpPH said:
I think its growth has been stunted. I have seen various stunted fish. Just like those. Well no helping him now. Best thing to do to be able to stop his suffering is to euthanize him.
This made me laugh...then I realised you weren't joking
sad.png

I've also seen many, many stunted and otherwise deformed fish and to me this looks just like a small genetic mutation, I've gotten a couple of fish like that when I've bred danios in the past, I currently have a leopard danio with a kink in its tail similar to this rasbora. Its deformity clearly gives it no grief.

Also, even if the fish WERE stunted - "It is actually an incurable disease." what the heck? I'm usually the one that's lecturing people on the dangers of stunting, especially of keeping cyprinids like goldfish, silver sharks, tinfoil barbs etc in too small aquaria - but that's just a strange and sweeping claim to make.  Stunting can have many different physiological effects on the fish depending on the individual situation - some fish recover easily and grow fast, some are stunted permanently and some may have long-term internal damage as a result. However, in my experience, most stunted fish can live a very happy and long life with a caring new owner!

In addition, the OP just recently bought the fish from the LFS, its highly unlikely they have been there in the LFS tank long enough to be stunted! LFS fish have tendency to be sold or die before they can be in a display tank long enough to be stunted - especially a common cheap community fish like scissortails.

Give the poor scissortail a chance, it looks healthy enough to live a happy life and I guarantee you it will grow a lot!
smile.png
  Please don't euthanize..if you are really that picky about looks, find a new home for it or take it back to the LFS.

Edit to add: IMO a 20gal tank is too small for scissortail rasoboras anyway - these are very active and fast moving fish that should be kept in a proper shoal and get to 5" long chunky fish.  I would return all 4 of them to the LFS to swap for a 6+ shoal of a smaller species, like 10 x harlequin rasboras. Otherwise YOU could possibly end up stunting the fish, and besides, its too small a tank to see the best of their behaviour.

We've had the fish a few weeks now, and it's doing fine so I just plan on letting it be.  Don't worry about tank size we are upgrading to a 55 just as soon as I can get my hands on one.  Probably get a couple more to make them happier.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back