Whats the stupidest/most useless fish related thing you have bought.

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
About 20 years ago,Fluvals original canister filter. Total waste of money as it would stop working for no reason,and the seals would leak all the time. The pump was kind of weak.

API Aquarium salt, esha 2000

Hang on to those two things, so long as they're in date. Aquarium salt can be useful for a variety of things, like when I used it to treat a guppy that had fallen from the tank and lost most of her tail, and developed a pretty bad fungal infection. Water changes and salt treatment cleared it right up. Perhaps she'd have made it with water changes alone, but salt is an anti-fungal and livebearers tolerate salt well, so it certainly didn't hurt, and I don't think she'd have recovered without it, honestly.

eSHa 2000 isn't bad either. I've used that too, and it worked for me. I'm not one for throwing meds in willy nilly, but the eSHa range has been helpful for worming fish since GDEX and NDX contain the right ingredients to kill round and flatworms, and my shrimp and plants survived treatment, then the 2000 helped resolve a different issue.

My own wastes of money... um, live plants that didn't make it? Not sure if that counts. There's bound to be something, with all the fish stuff I have, but I can't think of it right now!! I'll be back... muhahaha

Why do you say Melafix was useless ?
The active ingredient in Melafix works. It works in concentrations many times the strength of the Melafix formula, and when it is strong enough to kill bacteria, it also kills fish. The mix you buy is so weak it's hard to evaluate. It does smell good to us, and that's what sells it.
It's a mild antiseptic at best, and fish homeopathy at worst. I'd class it as a remedy we buy to believe we're doing something when we really aren't - a remedy for fishkeeper stress in the face of fish diseases.
With effective fish medications being unavailable with a veterinary prescription in many parts of the world, unproven herbal type remedies are selling well.

Killifish eggs. Once I've ordered killifish eggs but it turned out that it was just sand with no eggs in it. I've bred and raised killifish before and I always succeeded. But if there are no eggs, there's no way to breed killifish. The sender didn't respond anymore after I've send him a message that it was just sand he send me. And yes, I lost money as well by this prank of his.

Killifish eggs. Once I've ordered killifish eggs but it turned out that it was just sand with no eggs in it. I've bred and raised killifish before and I always succeeded. But if there are no eggs, there's no way to breed killifish. The sender didn't respond anymore after I've send him a message that it was just sand he send me. And yes, I lost money as well by this prank of his.
That just a scam! Wow... Sorry that happened. Angering

Well, ordering online is always a risk no matter what you're buying...
Yes but you didn't even get the product you bought... Just sand. That's a scam.
Like if I ordered a piece of pottery and it arrived broken. That's not ALWAYS the seller's fault and they should reimburse you. Plus you know it's not a scam cause you have the pottery, it's just broke. But if I ordered a piece of pottery and then got an empty box... That's not right
You got some sand, not even eggs

Yes but you didn't even get the product you bought... Just sand. That's a scam.
Like if I ordered a piece of pottery and it arrived broken. That's not ALWAYS the seller's fault and they should reimburse you. Plus you know it's not a scam cause you have the pottery, it's just broke. But if I ordered a piece of pottery and then got an empty box... That's not right
You got some sand, not even eggs
Are you aware of why there was sand in the first place?
The seller might have thought there were killifish eggs in the sand. Maybe the eggs didn't survive. There are lots of variables.

Are you aware of why there was sand in the first place?
The seller might have thought there were killifish eggs in the sand. Maybe the eggs didn't survive. There are lots of variables.
Yeah... But they should check before sending it off like: "Yup there eggs"... Maybe the seller needs to send pictures before sending it out to prove there ARE really eggs... Otherwise it may look bad for the seller

Oh him. I won't name him, but I bet I could. There is a guy famous for that one, but he sells under a lot of different names.

Mailing living things is never without risk. High or low temps, etc, happen in mail systems. It's a gamble, and not always the seller's fault. You don't run the postal system. I've mailed myself eggs and had the package arrive with no eggs undecomposed. I wasn't robbing myself. But it's why I don't sell eggs and only trade with friends.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back