What's the most you would spend on a betta?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

fishykisses

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hey guys.
I found this betta that i really want and it's $35. It's a Gorgeous Mustard Gas HM.
I'm sure i'm not going to get it ... tooo rich for my blood, especially since i'm not going to breed him.

What's the limit you guys would pay for a betta? - show quality or not.

Hmmm...so far all of mine have been $10 and under.
I think it would depend on how badly I really wanted it. Maybe $25?

If I found tht perfect fish in a store (NOT online, I can't stand shipping and not being able to SEE the fish), maybe a lovely mustard gas plaket, or a mustard gas halfmoon (male or female)... I think I'd dish out a good 20 bucks at least. ;)

If you include shipping I've spent over $70 one a single fish.

Just depends on how much extra cash I have to blow, and if there is anything else I'd rather have at the time I see the fish lol.

It's just money...and if that's what you want and your bills are paid...you're gonna spend it on something. Why not spend it on something you can see and enjoy daily.

It would depend on my current finances--how soon until Christmas, have I been working overtime, etc. I imagine I would go as hight as $25 for a fish plus shipping if I really, really wanted it.

I've spent $45 before (including shipping). If I had the $ and everything else was done (ie. everyone had food, meds, plants, tanks), I'd spend up to $50 including shipping.

My friend has told me that she would pay (and this is insane!) $1,000 on some of those wild bettas...the orange, black, and white ones. (And I told her that if she did, she would probably kill them!)

Seeing as how people on here send out some kick ass fish for FREE :hey: , I'd say I'd spend $25 (that's mostly shipping). But I wouldn't spend $25 on the actual fish. Unless it was pouring rain outside and the only building I could find shelter in was one they were using for a betta show... then God only knows. :shifty:

Auratus said:
Seeing as how people on here send out some kick ass fish for FREE :hey: , I'd say I'd spend $25 (that's mostly shipping). But I wouldn't spend $25 on the actual fish. Unless it was pouring rain outside and the only building I could find shelter in was one they were using for a betta show... then God only knows. :shifty:
[snapback]896243[/snapback]​

I agree, $25 would be my limit too, but he or she would have to be really special for me to shell out shipping! I think that the people here are sending great fish, I just have to wait until I get back to Miami to take advantage of it. :D

So far, my bettas haven't cost more than $7.95, and that was for the HMs. My CTs were less than $4, and have proven, so far, healthier.

That depends, really. If I say, drove to a show to buy, or had a breeder within driving distance, I'd probably spent a good $25.00 on the fish alone, but only if it was a young, healthy, exceptionally bred, and beautiful specimin. I don't breed, but I do want a healthy, long-lived pet - something many of my rescued sickies are not. However, since just shipping for one order online is a good $20.00, I'd probably only pay $5-10 max. I don't like the idea of shipping; I know they usually are guarenteed alive on arrival, but I've had too many packages get broken or lost in the mail to subject a living thing to the incompetance and crude handling of the US Postal Service or Fed Ex. :crazy:

I just ordered from BetterBettas online. I ordered 25 pygmy cories and the crackerjack surprise. The bettas are 25 usd. Being the surprise, I don't know for sure what I will get. But it will probably be at least two possibly more. Most of their packages are a pair and many are 20 usdollars. The overnight shipping to the States is 40 usd. But of course there were 25 cories in the package for 5 usd more. That's like $1.60 shipping a piece--and no sales tax. The cories price was $1.50 a piece. So the cories were $3.10 each and the bettas (assuming there are 2 and not 4) are $14.10 each w/shipping for world class show breeding quality.

Most of the fish you are buying are being shipped. Many from SE Asia, unless you got Synirr's and you live next door.

At least these aren't from a puppy mill. :p

Well my parents try to discourage me from getting any more fish and don't pay, so I'm on an unemployed 13 yr old budget. :p

I'd spend about $15 though, up to $20 if it was birthday money or such.

Heh, I know most bettas are shipped from overseas, though many in pet stores are also mass-bred by crappy breeders in the US and shipped a shorter distance. I am yet to buy one as a pet; they have all been rescues with severe medical problems. Don't worry - I'm sneaky and got my money back (and sometimes more than my money back) for each one of them. :p I wouldn't really be pleased with supporting the betta industry unless I was going for a quality fish from a breeder; casually buying from a pet store and letting your money go towards them abusing more bettas seems silly to me as a fish lover.
So, I'm just saying that if I ever bought one that was completely problem-free and intended on *really* spending money and getting a quality fish, I would definately go to someone local so I only have to transport the little dude a couple of hours from his home at the breeders, instead of a couple of days getting tossed about by fed ex. ;)
Speaking of which... a found a nice plakat breeder on aquabid who is within 1 hr of my residence. Guess who is getting a pair this July :hyper:

That's great RW! :cool: I'm envious.

It looked like betterbettas breed some of their own fish, world class award winning. At least they show some of their breeding couples. They are shokingly beautiful. It sounds like some of the CrackerJack Surprises are breeders whose fins got torn in breeding. They would not be show quality I guess, so they get sold at discount.

I bought a bunch of dwarf coreys. My guess: wild caught. I have 3 of the greatest Orange BN: wild caught. My green neons: wild caught because so far no one knows how to breed them. My Orange Oranda has eyes. Had she been bred "right" and given the right nutrients, I couldn't see them. I got her full grown at PetSmart, because I loved her face, and I like her eyes, :wub: But my Blue Oranda's little face is all crinkled up, and I can't see his eyes (how a lionhead should be--unless you don't believe in in-breeding.) I got him from my lfs. He's got a great face too.

There are so many things to worry about. I work with teen boys who are more damaged by their parents and community than one can want to believe. We do the best we can.

One of the reasons I quit smoking pot (many many many years ago) was so as not to support the criminal trade in Mexico.

We do the best we can and each follow our own light. You are following your light. That's good. It's not what makes you worthwhile, though. As you mature your perception of the Light will change. You will still be worthwhile. :p

One of these days I'm going to drop between $100 and $200 for a pair of Betta albimarginata... but as far as splendens go, maybe $50-ish for a REALLY nice fish, like a giant plakat or something.

I’ve gone all out on bettas. I’ve had a $5 red veil tail, and perfect koi halfmoons I’ve imported from Thailand for $100 and over including shipping.
She’s worth it :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back